meekerboy

David Blaine plans chopper leap stunt

You are lucky somebody did not report you to the FAA..........but I like it. Good one.

Hi Jim

Just sent you a personal message...

You know, most of these stunts can be done quite safely, many of the original jumps from airplanes were pull-offs, and guys like Cliff Winters were doing them from below 100' regularly at air shows...

Done by professionals, there's no reason that jumps like these can't be performed safely, and sometimes they still are 'as movie stunts, etc.'... If they can be done safely for a movie, they can be done safely as an exhibition... It's only because USPA and FAA (and CSPA in Canada) decided to set up some arbitrary rules that it became 'not kosher' to do these.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

*** I jumped my BASE rig from 900 feet off the lower wing of a Steerman.

What sort of delay did you take? I did this out of a Cessna with a Fox packed into an old Racer (no d-bag) with a round reserve. I did around 8 jumps, all from 800 or 900ft with 3 to 6 second delays. Good fun for all.

I used a FOX 265 in a Fox velcro closed container, no reserve (obviously).
I didn't take much of a delay.
After sliding off the wing, to duck the plane's tail assembly, I just made sure I was stable and pulled. The pilot did not want to try a roll over or it would have been easier.
I used a mesh slider, up, and a 42" pc.
I'm sure that some of the experienced BASE jumpers could dream up some good tricks doing that sort of jump.
Dwain probably would have done a few tucks and a half gainer. JJ has undoubtedly already done stuff like this with unique add ons.

Jim

I did it once from a Cessna at 500' with Maverick in my pullout equipped Innovator rig (slider-up, in a bag) After about a 2sec delay I missed my handle the first time I reached!!! The ground was getting big by the time it opened...

This was at a party. We were supposed to be getting out at 900' but we forgot the party was about 400 higher than the dz... Noticed we looked pretty low, but figured at 900' it would look low anyway....

After we went up to the owner and said, 'At a dollar per thousand feet - ok here's your 50 cents...'
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone