JohnnyUtah

FALL BASE CAMP 2003

I hold a BASE Camp every spring around Memorial Day at the Perrine Bridge. It is a complete and thorough first BASE jump course intended for experienced skydivers with little or no BASE experience. My students are taught all the fundamental aspects of the sport; including packing, gear check and gear knowledge, exit techniques, sub terminal freefall, deployment techniques, heading control, emergency procedures, landing techniques, etc. The jump site is very forgiving making it an excellent place to learn. I've BASE jumped all over the world, and hands down the best place to learn is Twin Falls, Idaho. This is why...The Perrine Bridge is a span bridge, 486 feet above very calm water with a large grassy landing area the size of a football field; and it's legal to jump all day. Many BASE fatalities are the result of an object strike. Once you fall away from this bridge, it is impossible to hit it, and 486 feet is plenty high to learn on. Also, there is a boat waiting down below should you land in the water. That same boat gives us a ride out of the canyon.

Over time I have had a lot of requests to have a Camp in the fall. So this year I am. Fall BASE Camp 2003 will take place November 24-27 at the Perrine Bridge in Twin Falls, Idaho. After BASE Camp is over, Marcia and myself will then head down to the Turkey Boogie in Moab on Friday the 28th to join Vertigo in some candy land fun (Mineral Bottom) on Saturday Nov. 29. I talked to Marta today, and they will have a shuttle and a barbeque on location. With all the BASE heads there, it will be raging.

So if you are ready to learn how to BASE jump this fall, here is a great opportunity for you. Sorry for the late notice, but IÕm doing this now because I have business to attend to in Salt Lake City after the Turkey Boogie, and I will therefore be in that area, making it all possible.

To attend BASE Camp, you must have skydiving experience. I will need to talk one on one with you to determine if you are ready. You must use BASE specific gear. Every student will have, or be issued their own rig for the course. The cost is:

$850 if you need to be issued a BASE rig from me
$650 if you have your own BASE rig

This fee includes:

Packing Instruction
BASE First Jump Course
Jump Mastering
Video Debriefs
First 10 Boat Rides
Advanced Instruction (as you progress through the camp)

Participants are responsible for their travel, lodging, and food.

If you are interested, you can contact me by phone or email.

Johnny Utah
(815) 228-9966
[email protected]

Hey Johnny

See you and Marcia (and the little one?) at the bridge and in Moab Thanksgiving.

Moab WILL rage!!!

Spence

Probably a good thing to note that although the turkey boogie WILL rage, and everyone is welcome to come party, there is a minimum jump number requirement (30 jumps I think) that must be satisfied before attending the TB. Moab is not a place where one should be jumping without the proper experience.

Hey Mother Hucker,

When I leave Twin Falls, BASE Camp is OVER (as I stated in my original post). I absolutely agree with you, that new BASE jumpers are not well suited for cliff and building jumps. That is why I don't hold BASE Camp in Moab. Of course, after jumping at the Perrine Bridge, people could then go down to Moab and risk it all for nothing off a low dangerous cliff.

During BASE Camp, I tell every student that once the course is over, they need to practice more on Antennas and Spans before they try a Building or an Earth.

My BASE Camp posting is to get the word out about my course. Perhaps you could start a new thread discussing what is appropriate at the Turkey Boogie so that a debate will not ensue here. Thanks!
Have Fun, Don't Die!
Johnny Utah
My Website
email:[email protected]

no debate. No other post;
Just thought it should be clarified that the two events are indeed seperate, and that the jumps in Moab will not be an option for a newbie. Now it's done.
cya
mh