PoeticDelirium

Baffin Island Base Jumping Expedition

ManBird,

I apologize for the soiling! Tell you what, send me the receipt for the dry cleaning bill, and I'll see if we can get that taken off the expedition price for ya! :)
andy2,

Yeah, accessibility is the basic issue. Not for the cliffs themselves, but just for the region. It is extremely expensive just to get to Baffin Island and out into the fjords. Once you are there though, it's your playground. Some of the cliffs like are a couple of hours of easy hiking. Others require either a heli, or serious, serious advanced rock climbing.

Hope that answers your question

Jonathan

definitely man, thanks, do much kayaking up in that area?

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Hey-

This looks like a great trip, I checked out the website but didn't see any information on the organizers. Is it somewhere on the site and I just missed it?

Thanks.

Hey SkyFlyer,

Here's a copy of my response to a similar question asked on BLiNC:

-------------------------------

To answer your question, and for anyone else who would like to know...

The expedition is being run by a company called Polar Safari (http://www.polarsafari.com), a division of SkyCorp (http://www.skycorp.ca). They have been organizing high end Canadian Arctic expeditions for the last 5 years and are very experienced in taking people to remote environments. Feel free to check out the websites for more info.

As for the base jumping side of things, this is what the adventure tourism industry would call a “self-guided” trip. The Polar Safari Team are not base jumpers themselves.

The goal of the Polar Safari Baffin Base Expedition is to provide experienced base jumpers with absolutely everything that they need to get themselves to the various different exit points on Baffin Island. This includes looking after all the transportation, all accommodations, all camping and expedition supplies, tents, sleeping bags, cooking supplies and nice hot meals, Inuit guides, radios, satellite weather reports, rescue and evac procedures if need be, and even most arctic clothing. You will be taken up to Sam Ford Fjord and looked after while you are there. You will be given complete details on numerous jumpable cliffs, some that have been jumped previously, and some that are waiting for someone to be the first to step off. There will even be a helicopter to take you to the top of the cliffs.

All you will need to do is choose your exit point and step off.

The organizers are prepared to deal with inexperience on arctic expeditions, but they are not guiding people on the specific sport of base jumping. Polar Safari’s expertise lies in organizing and financing the expedition.

As for my personal involvement, I’m a base jumper who happens to work part-time for the parent company, SkyCorp. I’ve given advice on some of the details of the trip, and am helping to get the word out. And I also happen to be the first person registered to go!

Any other questions, feel free to ask!

------------------------------

If you want more info on the Polar Safari company, feel free to email them at [email protected]

Jonathan