mischo

Base Legality in Germany

I am wondering how illegal BASE is in Germany?
I am a fledgling BASE jumper(3) and I am interested in jumping of of anything in Germany. Feel free to P.M.me thanks.
Mish

The German parachute federation sponsors legal BASE events (they're a bit more enlightened than, say, the USPA). Illegal jumps are just as illegal as they are anywhere else in the world.

I strongly recommend contacting the locals before you attempt a jump there.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I am wondering how illegal BASE is in Germany?
I am a fledgling BASE jumper(3) and I am interested in jumping of of anything in Germany. Feel free to P.M.me thanks.
Mish

I do know this: you need a reserve canopy for legal BASEjumping in Germany. This means having D-rings on your rig to attach a belly round (try to get your hands on one...) if your BASE rig has no reserve.

To me (NOT a BASE jumper), this really sounds sorta rediculous. I really don´t think you have the time to get a reserve open, from most BASE sites. I also think you might be hindered by a belly reserve (skydived with one a few weeks ago, it was in the way a bit). But what do I know...

Also, you can only jump a limited number of types of rigs and canopies.

Seems the Germans took skydiving regulations and adapted them slightly for BASE. IMHO, they could use some more adapting... But the idea of legal BASE, that I like.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Now that you mention it, I do recall there was some TSO-like testing done in Germany with different pieces of BASE specific gear.

I think TW (aka Space) was involved while he was living there. I'm not sure if he browses this site, but you see him on Blinc once and a while...

Mark

To me (NOT a BASE jumper), this really sounds sorta rediculous.

Yep, it's totally ridiculous. Still, it was the compromise they had to work to get their parachuting federation to sponsor the events. It's amazing the things that happen in the name of legality.

I believe that some CR gear was TSO'd in Germany, as a part of that whole effort. You could probably check with Adam at CR to find out for sure. While your at it, you could ask Adam to put you in touch with his German dealer, to ask questions about the legal events.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Hi, TW, aka "space" here,
Germany has the most advanced BASE Assn in Europe as far as dealing with it´s government. Approved gear is AFAIK limited to TSO-C23D, 300lbs at 200mph drops, CR and BR and others have met the certification required.Try [email protected] to find out which others.Tom gave you the most current links to pursue. They are bilingual and will help answer your questions. And we do have belly mount squares for reserves.
Kick me an e if you need info..
take care,
tracy
[email]