michaelflying

starting b jumping

It's variable but more is better.

At the upper right of this page just above your post, there's a link to an article you should read. Getting into BASE
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

thanks am keen but maybe round 500 hops pluss have to convince wife etc.. but am very keen.

.________________________________________________.
www.skydivekzn.co.za

If you don't know if you are ready, odds are, you aren't. Be patient. Don't use a jump number as a guideline, use your head. When you are ready, you will know it. That may be at 500 jumps, 1000, or you may never be. Just wait

If you don't know if you are ready, odds are, you aren't. Be patient. Don't use a jump number as a guideline, use your head. When you are ready, you will know it. That may be at 500 jumps, 1000, or you may never be. Just wait

Amen...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I personally waited till I crossed 500 (actually almost 600). I also started at a pretty safe location (bridge, 486'), with a lot of landing area. No amount of skydives prepares you for leaving your object, but it is of great consolation landing a canopy where you want it, and being able to manipulate the canopy to avoid objects. These are things you cannot explain well to non canopy pilots.
I did meet a guy at the bridge that had never skydived (and you could tell his canopy skills were just developing. He landed everywhere but the clear landing area).
I also went supervised by an experienced BASE jumper (700 jumps). I would not have started on my own without guidance.
Good luck, its scarier than you think!
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

I started with 24 skydives and climbed my local A to about 400' with my Vector container, pud straight pin pull out PC, sail slider and a PD 190 for a canopy. The only BASE jumper within 4 hours in any direction of my home town was the Grimm Reaper. I didn't have enough skydives, the right equipment no mentor no nothing. This resulted in my first 100 BASE jumps being way more exciting than the sport already is. The point being, listen to the posts you have gotten so far and be very certain your'e ready in every way. Best of luck dood!
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"

Just to make it really clear to those that aren't already knowledgeable about base:

When Spiderbaby says his first 100 jumps were "way more exciting than the sport already is...", what he's trying to say is that he's really freakin' lucky he lived through what must have been a steep learning curve.

Don't use skydiving gear.
Do get guidance from an experienced jumper.

BASE is way too unforgiving for re-inventing the wheel. A lot of good people have already died figuring this stuff out the hard way so that you don't have to. [:/]
-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

You got it 3 ring, that's exactly what I meant.
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"