baseclimb

Spring Loaded PC's

Can anyone tell me why we/they/us don't use spring-loaded PC's in BASE. The same type we use in all our reserves. It would also make a lot of sense to me with the wing suite thing and the burble problem.

Any ideas anybody?

Have you ever watched a video of a student using a springloaded pilot chute? Major burble issues with those.

A throw out is simple, less likely to malfuntion, it's light weight. Spings tend to go over the nose of the parachute creating yet another issue.

There is no D-bag or kickerplate for the spring to rest upon. Unless a closing loop passes through the center of the spring loaded pilot chute, the possibility of a total, or temporary total is increased.

The Burble problem isn't an epidemic. It's an issue that is noted. Any person that jumps birdman, is, or should be, instructed the proper use of the equipment.

hope that helps.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Pilot chute hesitation? I don't think that a BASE pack job would provide a solid enough platform for a clean pilot chute launch. Some older skydiving containers even used a kick-plate under the reserve pilot chute to ensure a good launch. Just a guess though..

I wouldn't suggest anybody to do wingsuit jumps (BASE or skydives) with springloaded PC's because the burble created by a wingsuit is so big that the risk of PC hesitation would be enourmos. Quote from birdman flight manual : "Use only a BOC throw-out pilot chute with the wing suit."

Markus
http://www.ufufreefly.com