prepheckt

Balloon Jumps

Hello all,
I've just started lurking this forum, and I would like to BASE eventually (not for quite a while), so I am gathering as much information as I can to make sure I have the skills necessary. I was wondering, are balloon jumps a good way to get ready for BASE?

Despite the high altitude that is jumped, or the cost, couldn't you use them to get used to launching off a relatively "fixed" object, learn subterminal deployments, tracking practice to get a max track?

I realize there are many things that you don't worry about during a BASE jump, cops, downdrafts, strikes, etc., but would it be a good way to learn how it feels or get some of the basics down?
"Dancing Argentine Tango is like doing calculus with your feet."
-9 toes

Having never made a balloon jump, mostly because of them not being readily available down at the DZ I once hung around , and the other was the price of a lift ticket when one did come around, I couldn't share first hand experiences from a balloon.

BUT, I would say if you had the chance to jump from one, yea, I'm sure it would be an excellent way to experience a freefall from a fixed object, getting the feel of dead air, going into a track immediately after you launch and maintaining your heading.

Are they a good way to get ready for BASE? Well, possibly from the standpoint of the launch to the deployment. But I don't think balloon jumps could prepare you for the decisions BASE jumpers make at opening. Especially from low objects.

If you get the chance to balloon jump, go for it. Jump as many times as you can (afford). Try to stay head high and stable on all of them before going into your track. Have fun!! ;)

Rod

They can give you an idea of what a BASE exit is like. To get ready for BASE, you need to prepare for the things that will probably hurt you. Bad exits are not what kills.

Focus on canopy control. Do CReW. There is nothing out of a plane that will develop your skills more than this. It will also improve your mental skills as well. The same quick thinking under pressure you need in BASE is the same you need in CReW.

Beyond that, BE PATIENT AND REALLY THINK ABOUT THIS!!!! Starting BASE is a decision you should really think about long and hard. In my opinion, you would have to be an idiot to start (and yes, I jump). You will spend hours of time (mostly in the middle of the night) doing the work for a base jump, just to get to the object and find out the winds are bad. You will most likely have a run-ins with the law or some other authorities. You will see friends get hurt, or worse, and at some point you probably will too. All of this for a few seconds of freefall and a short canopy ride.

Not to burst your bubble, but if I were you, I would stick to skydiving. It is a lot less trouble. BTW, I am not trying an asshole or anything. I am serious. I don't know why anyone would want to take up a sport like this.

And if you don't beleive me.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=443442;search_string=search_string;#443442

Thanks for the advice. :)Getting into BASE, and pretty much everything he's said on the subject.(with a grain of salt, as recommended). I've visited BLiNC's site too. I am definately taking my time to think this over. I have done CReW. I did a camp with the Wild Humans, at 60 jumps. Probably not the smartest idea. (However, I did learn a hell of alot about canopy flying and I got my 4-stack out of it).
I will promise to go slow, and make sure I have an accurate evaluation of my skills from someone who knows me and my skills, and I will talk to many in the BASE community as well. I WILL go to a BASE FJC first. I don't care how much it costs.

-9 toes

Bad exits are not what kills.

Im sure bad exit can make you unstabel in pull time and make an s### opening that kills you,or you could slide into the object.Theres a good reasson to practice exits into a swimpool..

I once saw this video by a guy jumping some legal cliffs in midt Europe,he went of handheld,maneged to go headdown,deplouy on his back and have a 180 at the same time,i think it just were his lucky day that day..(to survive that).

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I once saw this video by a guy jumping some legal cliffs in midt Europe,he went of handheld,maneged to go headdown,deplouy on his back and have a 180 at the same time

This wouldn't be off Fistfull of F-111 by any chance would it? ;)

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

This wouldn't be off Fistfull of F-111 by any chance would it?

i think so,atleast it were a madness Ausie video:ph34r:B|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

This wouldn't be off Fistfull of F-111 by any chance would it?

i think so,atleast it were a madness Ausie video:ph34r:B|

Sounds like "km" on F-111 - but as he says "i intentially packed for a 180 and practised the head down on the bungee tower!!" hehehe

...are balloon jumps a good way to get ready for BASE?

Yes. Balloon jumps are actually very good preparation for dead air exits, since they basically give you a very high span jump (a 4000' exit point that can't be struck is pretty ideal). Several BASE gear manufacturers have used balloon jumps during First Jump Courses over the years.

Prepheckt, aren't you a PTWOB kid? If so, you really ought to talk to AB about career ramifications. I'm sure he'll have some good insight to share. You might also look up bps--he's had a lot of career experience balancing the career and BASE things.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Prepheckt, aren't you a PTWOB kid?

No, I didn't make the team tryouts...and I've been jumping on my own ever since. Yeah, I remember hearing about AB, but I don't know how to get in touch with him. I know bps, and I will talk to him the next time I see him. Thanks for the advice..definately some food for thought.
-9 toes