feelopen

Base Fatality Analysis

Hi,

Did anyone ever complete a composite analysis of the World Base Fatality List? Sort of grouping the accidents by their most likely cause.

I started looking at it and thought it would be better assembled by someone with more experience. Some people said a while ago that Tom was working on something like this...

http://www.dropzone.com/forum/Related_Sports_C5/The_BASE_Zone_F22/Fatality_Analysis_P269370/

If anyone has something like this I'd love to take a look!

Thanks,

cp

Yep. I've got a fairly good analysis. Most of the work was done by an Irish jumper (thanks MT!), and I've added a bit to it.
Email me if you want to see it.
Edit: I've attached the graphs to this posting.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

fatality.pdf

Very useful data, Tom. The one that jumped out at me was "third party error." I'm a bit obsessive about PCA confguration, etc. - and this is likely to make me more so.

Peace,

D-d0g
+~+~+~+~
But this, surely, was the glory that no spirits, canine or human, had ever clearly seen, the light that never was on land or sea, and yet is glimpsed by the quickened mind everywhere.

What was the chimney strike....?

It would be more useful if we could see how many fatalities each graph represented. The ratios are interesting but without the context of the aggregate numbers its hard to interpret.

Very cool, though.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

It would be more useful if we could see how many fatalities each graph represented.

The full spreadsheet is too large to attach to a DZ.com posting. Email me if you want to see the data.
Total Fatalities: 70
Building: 7
Antenna: 7
Span: 8
Earth: 48
Other: 1
The only sample that is really large enough to be "statistically relevant" is probably the Earth fatalities.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

The only sample that is really large enough to be "statistically relevant" is probably the Earth fatalities.

That was what I suspected, and was looking for. Thanks.

_Am***
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.