CReWpilot

Site Naming

I am gonna make this quick. Alot of the people here don't base jump and don't know the rules. DO NOT NAME SITES!!!! PLEASE!!! Dont' show pics, tell the area, put the name in abbreviations, anything. By naming these, since you don't jump, you don't have much to worry about, but the people that do jump will. It is a big enough pain jumping in the US as it is, please don't make it harder by naming off sites please.

I'll second that.

I have been, and will continue, editing posts to remove site names.

I will remove names of any but the most common, and widely known sites (like the legal span in the western U.S. or the popular big wall in southern Norway). Please refrain from naming any sites (even those I don't edit out) in this, or any other public forum. If you see a site named in this forum, please PM or email me, and I'll edit the posting, and contact the poster.

This is not only a good idea for site security reasons. It is also an important safety consideration.

I can think of at least three accidents, including one fatality, that resulted from an unqualified jumper learning a site location (or just getting close--and actually jumping the wrong site) from an internet discussion.

Preventing accidents is the most important reason to avoid naming sites.

Thanks!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

there was one intersting induvidual that bought a rig on ebay and jumped a wrong bridge, was in intensive care last I heard. take care, space..

there was one intersting induvidual that bought a rig on ebay and jumped a wrong bridge, was in intensive care last I heard. take care, space..

We stopped at this "wrong" bridge over the weekend. A member of the PNW crew (who will go un-named to protect the guilty) has a hankerin' for repeating the jump.

Say what you will about the first jumper's judgment (and skills, and altitude estimating skills, and competence, and whatever else). . . man oh man he's got a heck of a lot of courage. Standing on that railing with a 42 inch PC in hand and jumping off. . . whoo-eee. Media reports pegged the span at 130+ feet; we lasered it at 98/99 feet on the button, at the highest point over dry land.

Somehow we resisted the urge to static line this particular B on the trip. A rare burst of good judgment emanating from the unseasonably-dry Pacific NW.

And, yes folks, Tom is right about not naming sites. Sometimes we get sloppy about this, figuring that "everyone knows about that obsure exit point down that long gravel road, past the ranger's house and a 10 mile hike from the trailhead." Surprisingly (to us, anyway) there ARE in fact folks in the world who have lives outside of BASE. . . and, for them, these sites we tend to live and breathe on a daily basis aren't so well-known a quantity. The less folks know about most BASE sites, the better - on many levels.

Lest folks think that this is a bunch of stuck-up BASE gods deciding to keep objects secret: there's nary a site in the world that a qualified jumper can't get beta for with a few phone calls to locals. BASE folks are the most generous people in the world, but we also need to protect not only our sites from unqualified jumpers, but also unqualified jumpers from our sites.

Peace and happy holidays!

D-dog
[email protected]
www.wrinko.com
+~+~+~+~
But this, surely, was the glory that no spirits, canine or human, had ever clearly seen, the light that never was on land or sea, and yet is glimpsed by the quickened mind everywhere.

note to moderator.as long as skydiving is legal skydivers will continue to name sites.keep deleting them but send me the list;)

Perhaps some guidelines (similar to those on the Inicidents forum) should be given on the Post New page for this forum with information such as this?

Edit: I see Erno has already made this suggestion in the Suggestions and Feedback forum.

BBRRRRR....but it's cold here in XX (state deleted) and when we jump this XX it's cold.
here in XX. the xx xx part of the state. next to the city xx. and, it is owned by xx who operates radio station?? named xx.
YA THINK?

how do you know it is a radio antenna?

how do you know it is near a city?

how do you know what part of the state it is in?

There is more than one antenna in this state, belive it or not.
BASE 853

Tom has already sent me his guidelines. I need to find the time to get them up.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

how do you know it is a radio antenna?

1. I think you will tell me eventually. And I saw the video.

how do you know it is near a city?

2. Common sense. If you make the "local" radius large enough.

how do you know what part of the state it is in?

3. Interesting question. Maybe I should WATCH the video more closely.

There is more than one antenna in this state, belive it or not.

1 (answer) I believe it. I bet there are MORE states like this. And you just TOLD ME that it was an antenna! ;)
OK, seriously though, you didn't say RADIO antenna, so I still might be wrong about that. Could be a TV tower?

Peace,
Thomas