Skylark

Is it really that good?

I did one BASE jump out El Capitan when I had not many skydive jumps; I am no skydiving expert neither BASE expert by here is my .02.

It was a rush but probably I won't do it again because I would like to become a very old skydiver and I cannot accept all the risks involved in BASE. Call me a pussy.

BASE and SD are different. You cannot learn freefly, RW, while doing BASE. As a matter of fact you'd better learn as many things as possible before BASE especially canopy control and packing.

If you are willing to take all the risks involved into BASE and you are seriously thinking about it, become a proficient skydiver and accuracy pilot and dig into it otherwise stick with SD.

Cool
Memento Audere Semper

It was a rush but probably I won't do it again because I would like to become a very old skydiver and I cannot accept all the risks involved in BASE. Call me a pussy.

You aint a pussy!I can promise you that you have far more respect to back off than jumping.
Respect

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Thanks Faber!

Although when looking at BASE the need is there but then I look at the accident report and I start thinking more rationally.

If I ever dig into it (the possibility is there) I would choose ralatively safe sites like jumping off bridges with a decent landing area for instance.

It's my understanding that nowadays the majority of the accidents happens either during landing or by stiking the wall. If a site is fairly safe for both I will assume the other risks involved.

For as long as I live in the States I won't dig into it. If the law changes or if I get to live somewhere else I'll see!
Memento Audere Semper

we all have our own limit.The only way to stay alive is to,do as your mind tells you,and follow the rules of the game.And even while we does that,there are still a big risk.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

It's my understanding that nowadays the majority of the accidents happens either during landing or by stiking the wall. If a site is fairly safe for both I will assume the other risks involved.

I have an article coming out in January's skydiving that addresses some of these topics. However, I'm sworn to secrecy on the contents until it is published, so I can't say more than that.

You are correct, however, in concluding that the vast majority of serious BASE injuries and also fatalities occur from object strike during opening sequence or on landing. Objects where object strike is very low risk (such as most bridges) are thus qualitatively safer than objects with high object-strike potential such as most cliffs.

Peace,

D-d0g
[email protected]
www.wrinko.com
+~+~+~+~
But this, surely, was the glory that no spirits, canine or human, had ever clearly seen, the light that never was on land or sea, and yet is glimpsed by the quickened mind everywhere.