Zeemax

alti watches??

> What you call sensitivity is really the resolution.
Yes yes yes, you are right. I did not want to write down an essay on electronic measurements.

> Now you have an altimeter showing the altitude typically +- the altitude resolution.
Yes, I agree.

> The accuracy is the maximum deviation between the true altitude and the altitude measured by your altimeter.
Yes, I agree (it is more or less what I wrote...).

> The accuracy is worse than the resolution.
Yes, in the sense that accuracy is a greater number than resolution.

> What is important for the user is the resolution (what is the smallest altitude change I can measure)
Yes, I agree. But resolution is important only to a limited extent (=alti watch feels if you climb 1 m higher, but you are NOT sure to be at an actual "readout"+-1 m!!!!).

> and the accuracy (How much can I trust the displayed altitude).
Yes, I agree again.
But my post was meant to alert our friends that an alti watch that has got a resolution of 1 m is NOT "precise" within 1 m, i.e.: an alti watch with 1 m resolution can be as accurate (=precise) as another alti watch whose resolution is 5 m.
I.e. again: having a 1 m resolution alti watch does NOT mean that you are "precise" within 1 m.
My actual experience with my 5 m resolution Suunto is that within 100 m of range my Advizor is accurate within +-5 m (same as resolution), having once (for example) read 80 m of height of a brdige (zeroed on top, went down the bridge and read -80m) that months later I measured with a laser rangefinder to be 85 m actual height.
My message wanting to be: my friends skydivers/BASE jumper, be careful: an alti watch with 1 m resolution does NOT mean that you get readouts accurate within +- 1m!!!!!!!!!!! Reasonable accuracy for those sort of instrument is about 5 m!!!!
please, don't come and tell me: "That object is 81 m high!!! I swear!!!". A counter proof showing the "5m accuracy" story can be the one of taking measurement with the "1 m resolution" wonder of a certain object on 10 different days, with zeroing just at the top of the object (or at the bottom) at the very beginning of each measurement.
Just my 0.02€
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

Sorry pal, not trying to beat on you!

You happened to stumble onto one of my "issues". I used to train engineers for a living, and most of my students didn't understand the concepts of sensitivity, resolution etc. So I made it a habit to give a lecture at any given opportunity!

- Jacques