airborne31582

Helmet affect the way you freefly?

Heres a dumb question for all you freeflyers, can a helmet affect the way you freefly? I have been wearing a half shell protec helmet for the past 30 jumps, but I recently switched to a full face Factory Diver helmet. On my first jump with the full face, I tried going head down and I actually kept stable the entire time. I just thought I sucked at freeflying.

Chris
I thought of the odds of me succeeding, versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and I went ahead anyway.

the half shell helmet you wore before- i'm assuming that helmet's open at the ears..
Could be the loud freefall wind was distracting you from holding your head straight on your spine? or maybe the enclosing feeling of the fullface helmet made you more aware of the straightness of your head - very important at the beginning when you're learning headdown. : )
Cheers.
"Spread your legs and fly"

It's soooo mental/psychological dude. More than you would ever think. Yeah, for you the full face probably makes it better for you :P. For me, I sucked with a full face. My dumbass buddy greig said that I wasnt 'free' with the full face. I called him a dumbass then did the next jump with an open face. OH MY!!!! I was ten times better:o. So now, I dont wear my full face when I freefly.
Another thing dude... In Rantoul this year, me and Greig took half a day off and went n' bought some chuck taylors (shoes) when we came back and jumped with them, WTF!!!! We were like 50 times better than we were without the chucks.
I think you know what I'm saying man. Teach yourself to fly everynight before you go to bed, know that you're a badass, and just chill and hangout when your head down man. Dont get stuck into the, "I must HOLD this position :(!!!! Just relax and chill bro...

Vid
"stons fal, evrysing fals, but doesnt on purpos change its flite pas an positioning..."

Exactly, good advice above. you see the relaxing is very important so your body can loosen up a little and do what you want it to do. Its good to visuelize the hole jump in your head a couple off times before jumping, have fun , enjoy and be safe!B|
blue skies.....Hallur

When I stop skydiving is the day that I die!!! Hallur

And always remember to look at the horizon, when I was learning (still learning but progressed quite a bit) I was looking at the ground, that made my body to arch, and I kept falling on to my back.
When I was at a sunset load, I looked at the sunset all the way down, did some cartwheels, and my hd was completely stable.
I didn't know it would affect so much, but it did...

Hell yes.........

My headdown has never been the same as before I mounted my TRV 11 to the top.

There are people who can fly with them (headdown and top mount) and those who cant. And I guess those who kinda can.

Its like having a shark fin on top. It change the way you fly HD. You will adapt however. But its also hell on opening sometimes if you are looking up. Its also a real hazard, so remember that.

Some people are so gifted and natural they can fly with any thing any where. See pic.

I will post this again: When you first get your camera mounted or whatever. If it has 2 chin straps take off or tuck under the liner the other one. You dont need 2. Especially those who add on a chin cup.

Next, at home sometime or wherever, put on helmet as you would to jump. Have it ready for your jump. Have a friend pull on it. Like your lines are caught in it. See how you would get it off. With tension on it it takes a sec or 2 and its more difficult. This is an emergency procedure. And you have to know what it feels like and what your instant reaction should be.

I had someone do this at my house and discovered complete amazement as its harder than you think.

~AirAnn~

Rook.jpg