tombuch

CW03-01 Tell A Pilot

I had a conversation yesterday with a glider pilot about where to get a pilot emergency rig repacked. As we were talking it occurred to me that the glider community and their riggers may not be as plugged into contemporary rigging as skydiving community, and may not know about the pin inspection program. I quickly checked with the Soaring Society of America (SSA), and they had no idea of this issue. I have followed up by having conversations with EAA, AOPA, and the USHGA…none were aware of the Capewell bulletin, although all those national organizations are now researching the matter and will be communicating with their members as needed.

With all that said, many pilot emergency rigs are included in CW03-01, and they should be inspected if manufactured between November 2001 and now, and using Capewell pins. Some GA pilots “occasionally” skip a 120 day repack, so it may be a while before their rigs are inspected by an FAA rigger.

So…if you know of any pilots who have emergency rigs it would be super kind of you to mention the Capewell inspection. If you have a local glider club or an aerobatic club nearby, it would be very neighborly for you to give them a call as a quick heads up. Likewise, if you are a rigger who handles pilot emergency rigs, it would be nice if you check your book and call those non-skydiving general aviation customers who may have rigs included in CW03-01.

The actual bulletin is available at http://www.capewell.com/PIAPIN.pdf

Tom Buchanan
Sr. Parachute Rigger
Commercial Pilot (IAMSEL,G)
Author, JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy