jessf

video voice over

if you experiment a bit, most any DV cam or flash-based cam can be used in a pinch as a v/o mic. get it close to your mouth, about 4" away from the side of your mouth on left or right sides. Then recite the alphabet backwards if you can, while recording.
you'll find the proper placement very quickly.

Outside of that, how much do you want to spend? avg for "cheap" is 300.00. For that much, you could hire a good v/o guy for more than a couple hours.

sorry for the lateness of my reply. i was under the impression that i'd get an email notification if there was a response, and i havent been on the site.
thanks for the tips.
i was talking about voice over during editing captured footage on my pc. i'm not looking to kill what audio is on there... just add to it. and all i was looking to get was a pc mic for about $10.

A pc mic can be used provided;
-it is pointed at the side rear of the mouth not more than 3" away.
-it has a windscreen (you can make your own with a wad of silk. Do NOT use foam)
-you have something with which to isolate the mic from the desktop. A washcloth, doubled up Tshirt, etc will work fine.

Experiment a little, you'll find the best point. Then again, it might be that you're not after a "movie voice" but rather just a voice on a DVD that sounds just like you.
A DV camera mic works very well, BTW. Done it many times in hotel rooms.