AJC

CX7 card full. how to store video?

so, my 8 gig card is full of video. Now i need to remove the video from the camera for editing on a computer(mac-FCE) later so i can still shoot video in the mean time. Im not a tech guy at all, so sorry if this seems elementary. How can i store these files for use later. I tried puting the mts files on dvd and then importing to imovie, but it doesnt work. Havent tried with FCE yet....Thanks

I don't have FCE, but if it is anything like FinalCutPro, there is a "Log and Transfer" function which is used for file based capture. Not to be confused with "Log and CAPTURE" which is used for tape based capture. The one and only time I tried to use Log and Transfer, I couldn't get it to see the files on my hard drive, but I could get it to see the files when they were on a Thumb drive. If the files were still on your camera, it shouldn't be a problem (YRMV).

BTW, I have FCP open, and when I just now tried to capture the .mts files using Log and Transfer, I got the message:

"'STREAM' (my folder name) contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media."

So it must be a directory thing. But again, the same files with the same folder on a thumb drive worked fine.

BTW, I have FCP open, and when I just now tried to capture the .mts files using Log and Transfer, I got the message:

"'STREAM' (my folder name) contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media."

So it must be a directory thing. But again, the same files with the same folder on a thumb drive worked fine.

Disregard my last comment. I just tried it again, and went up one directory level to a folder named "BDMV," and it saw the files fine on my hard drive.

I recommend copying the entire main folder to your drive.
You can copy only the BMVD folder over if you want, but having the reference data is a good thing, and if nothing else, works with other NLE systems that support the metadata. Apple currently doesn't, but it's not a big thing at all. Just an added layer of information.
FCS is seeing all of it correctly on my system, FWIW, from the video folder.