Henry7

Complete Setup Questions

Ill apologize up front for the long winded question. I am looking for advice on how to complete my first video camera setup. I currently have a Cookie camera helmet w/cutaway, but can't seem to figure out what the rest of the setup should look like (there is a lot out there, but i could easily be over analyzing.) What I would like find is a robust HD camera for all skydiving disciplines. After talking to a number of camera fliers at the DZ I have heard and seen a lot of top mounted cameras which, as far as i can tell, would also be the best way to go for me because of safety and because i don't plan on using a still camera. I have also had the HC-5 frequently recommended, but this is where I am unable to come to a conclusion. From what I have read within this forum I have found that hard drive cameras are no good for free fall, and many jumpers still tend to lean towards tape for a number of reasons. The camera industry though, is clearly moving away from tape. Personally I do not have my heart set on tape as I don't mind copying files to a computer. So, while the HC-5 may be a good choice, it may also become obsolete the fastest. Other cameras I am looking at are the CX-12, which is nice because it can pull double duty as a video/still and is small, but only uses memory cards. The HC-9 because it is the newest tape option which may give it some longevity and work well for skydiving, or the SR-11 because while it does have a hard drive, it may offer the most all around. then there is the TG-1, which is the smallest, albeit a side mount, but also could be very limited in application (no lens threading, I am aware of Cookie's solution.) So, on top of the camera choice, is there much of a difference between cookie and bone head boxes? Should I use a quick release with the box? What is a good all around lens? I plan on using a Hypeye D pro as well. Again, sorry for such a long question, but with everything I have heard and read, I still cant make up my mind, so I thought I would take it to the experts. Any help would be appreciated.

Henry

heheheehe....

Wow. lots of common questions and it does sound like you have done your homework so I'll chime in. It sounds like you want a POV setup, if that is the case, don't go top of the line, yet.

Recommended current Cameras:
Tape: HC62, HC52, HC3-5
AVCHD: TG1, CX12

I feel for a starting camera person the HC62 is a great inexpensive camera. It can be easily top mounted, firewired to others and simple. Get some mileage on that then upgrade if u want to. It shoots widescreen if you like it to, but will not have the resolution as an HD camera will have.

The TG1 cookie setup is a neat setup but that camera seriously is a bastard child. However, like all AVCHD cameras, you may also see some compression artifacts on some jumps. The TG1 does not have the flutter due to the lack optical stabilization found on sony camcorders such as found in the HC7/9/CX7.

Hard drives will fail pretty quickly due to low airpressure at alitude, there are several discussions about this. However, I have no experience with the hybrid UX series where u can park the drive.

Duck your head when you get out of the plane and there is really no big reason for a top mounted box. (unless you crash and burn on landings) That is my opinion others may differ. Of course I have a cage for my camera, so Im being slightly hipocritical. If you got towards a side mount and have a small yoke, you'll want something to protect the camera/yourself from riser strikes. Without a box you can just bolt the camera directly to the top of the helmet, of course you have a cookie so you'll need their liquid plate and adapters.

Lenses, read around. It depends on your camera and what you are trying to get out of it. Man a HC62 with a .43 is an inexpensive intro setup. A HC5 with a Rayonex 5051 is a great advanced combo.

Hope this confuses you even more... :S
Ah just take the plunge, what can possibly go wrong :P

HYPOXIC