labrys

PC5 - Firewire - Vista

Hi all,

I'm not able to import from my camera to Windows Vista (WMM). When I connect the firewire cable to the PC the camera is correctly detected, but I have no option to import from the camera....

I know that's a bit vague, but if anyone has any experience / suggestions about where to even start troubleshooting the problem I'd appreciate it.
Owned by Remi #?

Start by disabling the Firewire Bridge in your Network connections. This is the first step in eliminating the problem.
If that doesn't work, check to see that nothing else is sharing the IRQ of the firewire card. It's unlikely, but it's a next-step.

No luck finding it in any view. I'm not convinced that it matters a lot but I would like to try your suggestion if possible.

There are no resource conflicts shown for the firewire host controller.

When I attach the camera it appears as a Sony DV Camcorder in device manager, but according to what I've read, turning on the cam should spawn an autoplay process that runs a video import wizard.

I get nuttin'
Owned by Remi #?

The autoplay isn't auto tragic....
I thought you were looking in windows movie maker and not seeing the camera. you may have turned off the auto-play somewhere in the system.
Open WMM. See if you can import without autoplay.

Ah, sorry... Yes, I've tried importing from WMM. There's no import from camera option there.

I've also tried looking at all the autoplay options. The camera does not appear as a device (my phone does though) in the autoplay control panel even though it does appear in device manager.

Per Sony, the Vista drivers should work. They don't have 3rd party drivers for the camera.

The PC5 is listed as compatible with Vista on Sony's web site.
Owned by Remi #?

what happens when you go into Device manager and see the camera? Can you scan for changes and see the camera?
Turn camera off. Disconnect from computer.
Plug camera in after 10 seconds.
Turn camera on in CAMERA mode, not VCR mode. What happens?

The camera appears in DM.

I've solved some of the problem.

I turned off User Account Control and the camera started appearing as a device in the Autoplay control panel. I turned UAC back on and the camera still appeared. Must be a UAC bug (imagine that :S)

After that, resetting Autoplay for the camera to import video caused the video import to start working when the camera is connected in playback mode.

WMM still doesn't allow import from camera but that might be a version issue.

Thanks a million for your help

Owned by Remi #?

After all that, i borrowed a laptop from a guy here, and his is running Vista Home with WMM6. I don't have a PC5, but did connect an HC3 in DV mode, and WMM came right up. I then shut down the autoplay, opened "File | Import from Digital Video Camera (CTRL + R) and it picked up the camcorder right away. Don't know if that helps.
I'm logged on to his machine as an administrator, with UAC disabled.