SkydiveMO

Final Cut Express HD

Anyone out there using Final Cut Express HD to convert skydiving footage to Quicktime formats for the internet? I've been using the original version of Final Cut Express for a couple years now but recently upgraded to the new HD version. I'm attempting to convert one of my sequences to quicktime for posting on skydivingmovies.com. When I do the conversion it works great on my Mac but my Windows machine says it doesn't have the proper compressor to view the movie. I never had this problem with the old version.

If you use Final Cut Express HD what settings are you using to save your files for the internet?

Thanks

I am using Final Cut Pro but I have a guess as to what is happening. It is probably defaulting to the H.264 codec. You could export it using MPEG-4 and it would most likely work on your Windows machine or upgrade your version of Quicktime on your Windows machine.

In the past I used Sorenson-3. You might want to experiment with other codecs, key frame settings, quality settings, limit data rate and tweak other settings, but after a day of doing so I came to the conclusion that I am just going to use H.264 from now on. I was able to reduce the file sizes but the quality greatly diminished compared to H.264. Eventually people will upgrade to the new version of Quicktime and the more people start using it the more it will catch on.

Apple just released the new Windows version of Quicktime 7. Have you upgraded your Windows machine yet?
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Apple just released the new Windows version of Quicktime 7. Have you upgraded your Windows machine yet?

I thought I had the most recent version as their link to Quicktime for Windows takes you to Version 6.5. On closer inspection I see there is a separate link to the preview Version 7. With version 7 for Windows I can open my file, thanks for the help. Now I can work on tweeking the settings and posting my video.

Blue Skies

Just thought that if you use QT7 your video's viewers will likely have to use it as well...which might cut into your audience.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

...which might cut into your audience.

I was thinking the same thing, but the compression and quality are much higher with the H.264 codec. I figure it is worth using and pulling people over to QT7. Hopefully the full version will be released shortly. Until then it will give people something to complain about :P