pauld767

Stills Bracket

I would like to mount my stills camera on an L bracket that can be quickly inter-changeable from landscape to portrait.

At the moment the camera is mounted with a Manfrotto quick release. I was thinking about using a standard L shaped section of aluminum and permanently fixing a base plate to both faces by drilling and tapping through the plate and base plate. The trouble with this, is that the screw in the base plate that normally goes in the base of the body is not long enough to accommodate the thickness of the bracket plate.

Anyone got any good ideas on a home built bracket or commercially available one that would work?

Blue Skies!

The attached still mount design may give you some ideas. I jump a Headhunter Jawz helmet and I designed a few custom mounts for it several years back. To rotate the still mount, you have to loosen a few screws and twist it 90 degress. You can mount a quick release on the bottom of the "L" if so desired. I use splined panel nuts on the back of my video camera base plate, which is mounted to my helmet. The second attachment is a custom mount I made that is non-applicable except that it shows how to mount the still camera to the video camera base plate.

Good luck.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Base 428,

Thanks for your input.

I found a supplier of custom L-Brackets after I posted my message. Check out www.kirkphoto.com (don't know how to do the clicky thing), expensive, but very sweet! Just perfect for the discerning camera flyer.

Blue Skies
Paul.

Perhaps a little. However since they are in the 'custom' business, I'm going to see if they can make small adjustments to the machining. I propose to suggest leaving metal beveled at 45 degrees either side of the 'shoes' instead of milling it to 90 degrees as they have done. That should drasticly reduce the 'snagability'. I'll let you all know how I get on.

Blue Skies!
Paul.