popeyefireman

installing a cam eye

This thread may seem stupid, but i was just wondering. I got a cam eye for my helmet and was wondering the dufferent ways to install it. I was thinking of just using gaffers tape. But in another post I noticed someone drilled out a hole and put it on the inside. Any comments on this.

Adam

"I Yam what I Yam"

I am not afriad to die, only to die without living.

Mine is for a sidemount PC 110. I have the switch front and center on my helmet. That hole is drilled out. (Make sure you keep your electronics well clear when drilling. It's also recommended that you seal the edges of the hole with clear nail polish or something similar.) The excess wires and the indicator are kept in place inside my helmet, under the padding, with gaffers tape. I've been very happy with mine. The switch is easy to get to, but doesn't get accidentally bumped. Nothing extra hanging around.

I'd think that you'd have a hard time keeping the switch stationary with just gaffers tape. Plus, you'd have a heck of a road map all over the outside of your helmet with all of the excess wiring.

Just my $.02... good luck!

I'd use shrink tubing if I knew where to get some. Any ideas?
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Hi. Did you use copper wire and shrink tubing to secure the indicator light (as the skytools' instructions recommend)?

Hmmm....I certainly missed this in the instructions, I just have the indicator light hanging down where I can see it, secured by gaffer's tape. Would this be a heavy gauge copper wire they recommend?
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Did you use copper wire and shrink tubing to secure the indicator light (as the skytools' instructions recommend)?

Nope. I must've missed that part, too.:$ I think you can see it in my avatar. The indicator just hangs down in front of my goggles. Never had a problem with it... Anyone know if this could somehow be damaging to the Cam-eye?

This quote is from the CamEyeII manual: ***For helmets without ring sights use a 2,5mm^2 solid copper wire. The copper wire is stiff enough to stay in place during free fall but will bend in case a riser or a line gets caught during parachute deployment. Bend a small loop at one end of the wire and use the loop to attach the wire to the helmet with a screw. Cut the copper wire to the desired length. Next put the indicator cable together with the copper wire in the heat shrink tube and shirnk the tube with a lighter or other heat source.***

The 2,5mm has a little superscript 2, which I denoted with ^2. It doesn't correspond to a footnote. The 2,5 might be Euro for 2.5, but it might be some notation that I am not aware of for specifying wires.

I left my indicator light secured only with gaffer tape, but wonder if it will be fatigued sooner without support. That is why I asked how others mounted the light.
"And the sky is blue and righteous in every direction" Survivor Chuck Palahniuk

:):|
I have mine tucked away under the helmet padding,,( be sure to leave the plastic "cap" on it.).. then I simply operate the camera from the camera switch and it works fine...the less wire etc. on the outside of the helmet, the better.and gaffer tape over the jack where it enters the lanc port.... (if you do not have a protective box)..
to reduce the likelihood of damage...( I once had a jack break off with the pin
still inside the lanc port) >:(