surfrgrl1

Xaos tail flapping during riser dives

Hi guys,

Had a few questions...

Am borrowing a Xaos-27 109 while my Katana 107 is relined. I am not loading it very high especially since I've lost some weight in the last few months.... around a 1.4. (Was originally loading the katana a little over 1.6).

On riser dives the canopy appears to buffet, the tail flaps. I think this has something to do w/ the length of the brake lines. There was a guy borrowing the canopy before me that had the same issue and he was loading it 2.0+ so I don't think it's a loading issue.

My first question is -- has anyone else experienced this w/ the xaos or any other canopy and is it resolved with changing the brake line length?

Second question is -- could this result in canopy collapse?

Third question is -- I really like this canopy (openings, glide, swoop) and am considering buying it as I struggle to make it back comfortably from LONG video spots w/ the katana. Is there any issue with flying this canopy at this light of a loading?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I would advise doing a few riser dives with the toggles in yoiur hands, and few without the toggles in your hands and see if there is a difference.

I would also advise pulling high and going through the full range of control options on any high performance canopy that is new to you. Both sets of risers, the rears to a stall, and the toggles to a stall. This will reveal any sort of 'funky' behavoir before you get close to the ground. It would have revealed the tail flutter, and you could have tested it by dropping the toggles right then and there (provided you were aware that short steering lines cause tail flutter during front riser input, which I hope you were is you're jumping a Katana or Xaos).

It's probably the steering lines. It shouldn't cause a collapse, but it's killing the performance.

Have a rigger check the line trims and do what Dave mentioned also. If the brake lines are too tight, that will cause the buffet when pulling the front risers while holding onto the toggles. Good Luck, I have about 2000 skydives on three different XAOS27's and I love them!
Bryan Cavage, D-19100
AFF I, Tandem I, Vidiot
http://www.dropzonesolutions.com
-Social Media Consultant and Skydiving Gear Guru

I had a Vengence 107 with the same issue. Lengthened the brake lines by 2 inches....problem gone.

That was after I asked a rigger to watch my canopy during my dive....

Enjoy the Xaos, I have one as well now, and I love it.

If at first you don't succeed....then Skydiving is not for you!

Easy enough to see if your brakelines are too short:
Fly in brakes, let go of brakes and quickly grab both frontrisers and pull down as far as you can, keep them there and look up at the tail: if the brakes are now pulling on the tail, your brakelines are too short. You will definitely feel this as the canopy will start to buck/buffet because you're giving it both dive and brake inputs at the same time.

ciel bleu,
Saskia