proswooper

The JVX broken down

Let me start by stating that this review of the JVX is meant as a comparison against the other wings I have flown in my competitive canopy-piloting career, it is not a sales pitch for the JVX.

Opening Characteristics (based on openings with stock slider not RDS)

Snatch: The snatch force (initial sit you up force as canopy comes out of bag) is a little higher than on a velocity and a Xaos but is very reasonable and by no means hard.

Snivel: The snivel is not as long as the velocity and is very comfortable, consistently around 600 feet. There is not the really long snivel that is characteristic of the velocities and the Xaos’s I’ve jumped. The JVX does not do the characteristic “seeking” of the velocity during the snivel and is actually a lot like the Xaos staying on heading over 95% of the time.

Inflation: The inflation is gradual and totally different from the VX’s extremely quick inflation. The slider comes down at a steady rate without hanging at any point, staying uniquely on heading.

Flying Characteristics

This is by far the canopy that I have had the most fun with, it is a pleasure to fly having more speed than any canopy I have flown but also having the ability to really hang in brakes. The steep trim gives the canopy a lot of range in both rears and on toggles.

Front risers: The front riser pressure is very comparable to a velocity of similar size. I have found that in multiple rotation approaches the canopy does not load up on the fronts and I am able to muscle the canopy down when I am high. The turn rate on fronts is slower than on a velocity. The same amount of input on a velocity of similar size will turn the velocity quicker than the JVX. This is mainly due to the higher aspect ratio of the JVX.

Toggles: The toggle pressure is much higher on the JVX than a Xaos or VX as the tail of the canopy is kept very pressurized by the steep trim. This pressure all translates very nicely to lift when transferring to toggles after flying on rear risers. This also means it has a lot of shut down power similar to a velocity.

Rear Risers: This is where the JVX is different from any other canopy I have flown; there is more range and power on the rear risers than anything I have experienced before. I am able to stay on the rears longer and further than on any other canopy I have flown. I have also been able to recover from low turns with rears that on any other canopy I would have had to go to toggles to get the necessary input to save my life (not advised under any circumstances).

General: Because of the overall design of the canopy—not having stabilizers, stock HMA lines—I am able to build up more speed than on any other canopy I have flown. Altitude loss in a speed induced landing is different whether you get the regular ZP or the sail material. The sail material loses more altitude than the same size JVX in regular ZP material. The altitude loss on the sail material is very comparable to a velocity of similar size maybe even having a slightly longer recovery arc than the velocity. The ZP version has a slightly shorter recovery arc than a similar sized velocity. Having both I prefer the sail material because it has a much greater pack volume allowing me to jump a much bigger reserve and container. Overall I have been very impressed by this canopy having placed second at the world cup with my first JVX and also winning the 2005 PST Swoop festival competing against factory pilots who were flying non-production experimental prototypes not available to the public. I have also done many test jumps on various prototypes from other major manufacturers and swooped competitively for about four years. For further info or questions about this canopy please feel free to pm me