Zennie

Flare Turns

I've heard this mentioned a few time in canopy control discussions.
On the high performance canopies do you generally perform this with a harness shift, with the toggles or both? Seems a harness shift would be a safer way to start learning this than with the toggles.
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

If you are talking about a flat turn this is achieved with the toggles. Go to half brakes and turn from there. Shifting in the harness causes the canopy to dive so that is not a flat turn. I have done a flat turn using brakes on a FX88 loaded at 1.9. So they are possible. I have also landed that canopy from half brakes in light wind without problems.
I hope we are talking about the same thing, otherwise just ignore the post.
Alex

I don't think so, but again, I'm not quite sure what it is and that's why I'm asking. Flat turn/braked turn, yeah, no problem.
I got the impression that a flare turn was executed during the flare, the result being the carving turnf surfs you see some swoopers do.
If I recall, it was noted that that is a valuable skill to have, beyond the carving surfs, because you may also need it to avoid people at flare time.
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."