frig

Cutaway D-Bag

At what point of the deployment sequence do you think the main will be released from the 3 rings if you cut away before the main is deployed. So for example if you cut away, and then throw your pilot chute out will the main fall away at full line stretch, 1/2 line stretch, etc. The reason for this question is to evaluate some different circumstances that may happen with a pilot chute in tow, but I am not looking for advice on what to do with a pilot chute in tow (there are enough threads on that one). I would just like to know when there is enough tension on the three rings to seperate them.

Well when i was jumping an intentional cutaway rig, i fucked up and pulled the cutaway before pitching the main PC. So with cutaway pillow in hand, i threw out the PC, bag went to full line stretch, and pulled the canopy out, the canopy never inflated but that was enough force to release the 3rings.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I've seen the cutaway handle come out, the jumper go to their belly, toss the pilot chute, as soon as the d bag came out of the container and the risers were pulled up, it all flew off of his back. This was with a javelin from 2, maybe 3 years ago with the riser covers that are about 2/3rds the size of the current ones. His reserve opened him wicked hard!
Just to conclude... when we went looking for his stuff, we found the cutaway handle, main parachute, and I think the free bag all within 50 yards of onoe another.