larry

medical requirement

From BSR: b. Carry a certificate of physical fitness for skydiving from a registered physician; or...

I'm having a routine physical in a couple of hours from now. Do I just need a letter from my doctor giving me a go ahead to jump or is there some downloadable form he needs to fill out?

Thanks for the quick response. I'm leaving at 1:20 EST.
“Now click your heels together 3 times so you can return to Kansas to live in poverty with your teetotaling, dirt farming aunt and uncle!” paraphrased Prof. Farnsworth

From BSR: b. Carry a certificate of physical fitness for skydiving from a registered physician; or...

I'm having a routine physical in a couple of hours from now. Do I just need a letter from my doctor giving me a go ahead to jump or is there some downloadable form he needs to fill out?

The next option in that BSR (C)(1)(c) is "Have completed the USPA recommended medical statement." That is incorporated into most drop zone waivers.

If your question is about jumping in the USA, don't worry about the medical exam unless you have some kind of special condition, or are getting on in age. If you have a heart or circulatory condition, or pressure in the sinuses, mention it to your doctor. Skydiving adds stress to the body and we tend to fly where the air offers a bit less oxygen. It's not a huge deal, but worth consideration, especially if you are older or otherwise out of shape.

Tom Buchanan
S&TA
EMT-B
Author, JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I had my physical a couple of hours ago and passed it. It's no biggie, just a routine sports test with some special attention to the things tombuch mentioned. At least that's the way my doctor did it, they may do it differently somewhere else.

Here in the Netherlands we have to have a doctor fill out the medical declaration, that's specially designed for parachuting. It has 7 very obvious pointers, some he just asked (eyefocus, hearing, medication), while fitness, vital signs and things like reflexes, balance and ankles/legs were checked.

Stamina (I think that's what you call it, keeping up strength for a longer period of time?) could be a bit better, but nothing to worry about. Maybe do some running once in a while :S. Good longues though. So... on to jumping (time goes sooo slow when you're waiting [:/])!

I had my physical a couple of hours ago and passed it. It's no biggie, just a routine sports test

If even that. Just ask your doctor nicely, he/she just might sign the d*mn paper. Mine did, (shhhh) I only just needed it because I got my B license soon after (here a medical is mandatory for students/A-license holders, and TM's and such). I think for TM's a *real* medical would be in order, because they're responsible for someone besides themselves. After an accident of some kind, I'd get myself checked out real good too. Students might benefit, because they don't know what to expect. I usually know what I'm doing these days, so....... just needed to have one, also need it for France for the World Championships later this year.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

If even that. Just ask your doctor nicely, he/she just might sign the d*mn paper. (...) I think for TM's a *real* medical would be in order, because they're responsible for someone besides themselves. After an accident of some kind, I'd get myself checked out real good too. Students might benefit, because they don't know what to expect. (...)

I agree that it's good for students; it's yet another way to make it more likely they learn about not jumping when you have, like, a cold or several other situations (providing the doctor tells you what he's doing during the check), mine does a lot of them for sports people so it was fairly extensive I guess, but anyway, I hadn't been to the doctor for a while so for me it's good to know what I'm up to.

Also TM's are put through a bit more strain I can imagine, staying stable, so yes a good physical would be in order.

About accidents, disregarding the fact that it's common sense to get a checkup, are you obliged to so after an accident?

About accidents, disregarding the fact that it's common sense to get a checkup, are you obliged to so after an accident?

I don't think it is, at least not here in Holland. However your instructor may require it, I suppose he might if the accident was bad enough. OTOH I've seen people jump with braces and even casts, I guess it depends.

Common sense might tell you when it's okay to jump again. I've grounded myself a bunch of times for sinus trouble, for instance. Also grounded myself once due to medication, and once for backpain. It's YOUR body, you should know best I think... But then, luckily I've never been seriously hurt, skydiving or otherwise *knock on wood*.

ciel bleu,
Saskia