Boris73

RAPS or AFF

Hello, i am looking to start skydiving but i wont be able to start untill april next year (if i do the AFF course), but i can start today if i wanted too, if i did the RAP course, but i would like some information on the rap course,
1. How does it actually work
2.How long does it take
3.How many jumps are you expected to do to become a qualified skydiver
4. How much does is cost
5. Which is better

because if i start the raps course now and become qualified by april next year and it works out cheaper then the AFF course i may as well do the raps, but if it will take longer then that then i may as well wait and do the AFF course. Any help would be great

you can email me at boris73boris(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk

For which is better, and the costs, try searching here for staticline vs AFF.....

But in your case, I think RAPS/SL might be best, as it gets you used to lower exit altitudes, which will stand you in good stead considering UK weather.... Esp near the end of the season. Also, you can start now ;) It would be best if you can continue jumping through the winter, if you can't (because the DZ closes or something), then you might be better off waiting for next season anyway... If you can only do a small number of jumps now you'd have to re-learn a lot of stuff next year...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

There are lots of threads discussing the two, you can do a search and find more detail.

In summary - you are likely to do more jumps to get qualified doing RAPS, each jump would be cheaper though. The advantage is that you have more canopy flights and landings under your belt when you do get your A-licence and it spreads the cost over time.

AFF is faster, you can get a better idea of the total cost up front and you in-air coaching for your freefall skills.

The absolute minimum number of jumps you need to get qualified in the UK is 18 for AFF and I think we counted up that it would be 19 for RAPS, however it is more common to have to repeat jumps doing RAPS.

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

Hey due, AFF without a shadow of a doubt. SL is a dinosaur that has no place outside of a military environment.

Faster and probably cheaper than SL if you do it abroad. The only downside is that you arrive back in the UK 'suddenly qualified' and have to become a 'DZ regular' without the process being handed to you on a plate by being a bumbing student. If you reckon you can hack that, go AFF. :)
i did 25 SL and got nowhere, then finsihed AFF in 2 days. know people that did SL in 17 jumps., so i appreciate i might have just been a muppet. But if you have the £1k to go abroad, have a cool 10 days holiday, do AFF and come back with 30+ jumps, do that.

There's a BPA 'starter' mag that dicusses the pro's and cons of AFF abroad. When you read it, bear in mind it's written by people with a vested interet in keeping UK AFF live and kicking.

PM sent.

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

SL is a dinosaur that has no place outside of a military environment............. i did 25 SL and got nowhere

Most people are off the static line in 5 to 7 jumps. Your opinion does not make it a dinosaur method of learning to skydive.:S

Faster and probably cheaper than SL if you do it abroad.

Are you sure of this or just guessing?
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Hello, considering i am a new to this my jargon isnt up to scratch but anyway at black knights parachute center they do a 6 jumps raps "solo freefall course" for £295 and then raps student progression jumps for £34 so if i have 20 jumps then that only comes to £771 which is quite a bargin! and surely i would have finished before april next year ( its the only time i can get 2 weeks off to do the AFF course, due to college) anyway what i want to ask and this is where my jargon isnt up to scratch when you have finished the 6 jumps raps course and you start doing the categorys 2-8 for the BPA is there an instructor with you to make sure you have done what is required correctley and also what type of parachute do you use (incorrect jargon) the round parachute or the rectangle parachute because with the round parachute you can not control where you want to goto and i do want to control where i go so i would like to use the rectangle parachute.

Yes, for the vast majority of people, I imagine AFF abroad is cheaper and faster than UK SL. Faster without a doubt, cheaper depends on where you go and how long SL would have taken. I was very definitly both for me...and it would have been even had i been able to finish SL in 18.

Given UK weather (you've got winter between now and April), the jump rate for a student at UK DZs, and getting those 18 jumps in is going to take a while, and the lack of curreny is gonna make it more expensive. And very few do it in 18.

OP - Jargon? http://www.skydivebristoluni.com/training.html Explains the training methods, briefly compares them and has a pretty handy glossary of all the jargon.

Edit: another one http://www.bpa.org.uk/glossary.htm

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

Hi
Are you at uni? Because if so they may have a club that subs RAPS tickets.
RAPS vs AFF is kind of a personal choice, everyone seems to favor the way they trained. I started RAPS last Oct, went to the DZ nearly every weekend and qualified in 28 jump in May, then over the summer I have seen AFF students turn up on 3 concecutive weekends and get qualified. If you can afford to start RAPS now, then you might as well. There should still be a few weekends of good weather yet:)
Leeds University Skydiving Club
www.skydiveleeds.co.uk