GregJackP

Student/Training Question

I was a paratrooper about 30 years ago (never jumped civilian) and have been contemplating getting into jumping.

I'm looking for some advice too, as I know that the two are very different. I hope that y'all can point me in the right direction.

1. I'm 6'1" and about 250. I noticed that most of the schools limit jumps to those under 220 or 230. Is this is hard and fast rule? Or is it based on the chute used? The reason I ask is that when I jumped T-10s and -1s, the weight was always up around 270-300 lbs, dependent on the equipment I was carrying. Are there any schools in Texas that can accommodate a heavier jumper (preferably closer to Dallas, but I'll travel if I have to)?

2. I'm not really interested in a tandem jump to start - which would be better - static line or AFF? I'm very comfortable with static lines (for obvious reasons), but I must admit I don't know much about the differences.

3. I don't really have any desire at this time to look at any particular discipline, I just really want to start jumping out of planes again. Are there others like me, or would I be an oddball by just jumping?

Thanks

1. I'm 6'1" and about 250. I noticed that most of the schools limit jumps to those under 220 or 230. Is this is hard and fast rule? Or is it based on the chute used? The reason I ask is that when I jumped T-10s and -1s, the weight was always up around 270-300 lbs, dependent on the equipment I was carrying. Are there any schools in Texas that can accommodate a heavier jumper (preferably closer to Dallas, but I'll travel if I have to)?

Do a search on here for the Texas Anvil Brothers. They might be able to point you in the right direction.

These aren't your old T-10's (thank god)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

1) Many DZs are forced to limit the weight of persons doing solo student jumps because of the gear they use. Much of the student gear around has a max limit of 250lbs all up, and that number must include the weight of the gear thus why they pick a limit of 230lbs. Some more modern container and reserve systems have been TSO'd (approved) with a new standard and a higher maximum rating of 300lbs all up. I know Skydive Spaceland near Houston uses such gear because I work here.

2)We prefer a Tandem Progression as it gives a couple one on one jumps with the student to workout initial fears and problems. An advantage is that it costs the student less most of the time as we train with a one instructor program, rather than the two used in traditional AFF. We don't offer static line as it's just not popular enough to support.

3) It's ok to just jump. :-)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Do a search on here for the Texas Anvil Brothers. They might be able to point you in the right direction.

These aren't your old T-10's (thank god)

LOL, yeah, the T-10 was only really good for dropping a bunch of us in (generally) the same spot in a short amount of time. I much preferred the -1s, but they never let us use them except for hollywood jumps. As most of our jumps were mass-tactical jumps, I got used to the T-10. :P

Thanks for the advice on the Anvil Bros. - I'll check it out.

1) Many DZs are forced to limit the weight of persons doing solo student jumps because of the gear they use. Much of the student gear around has a max limit of 250lbs all up, and that number must include the weight of the gear thus why they pick a limit of 230lbs. Some more modern container and reserve systems have been TSO'd (approved) with a new standard and a higher maximum rating of 300lbs all up. I know Skydive Spaceland near Houston uses such gear because I work here.

2)We prefer a Tandem Progression as it gives a couple one on one jumps with the student to workout initial fears and problems. An advantage is that it costs the student less most of the time as we train with a one instructor program, rather than the two used in traditional AFF. We don't offer static line as it's just not popular enough to support.

3) It's ok to just jump. :-)

Thanks, that explains a lot. I guess after I get thru the licensing jumps and look at getting my own gear, I can get it where my weight isn't a problem for the chute.

I also don't have a problem with traveling to Houston to get my licensing jumps done, but it would be nice if there was some place closer. If not, I guess I'll be seeing y'all down there.

How does the tandem progression work? I don't think that fear will be an issue, and if the cost isn't too much more, I would be more inclined to be in my own chute rather than hooked up in tandem. I'm open to whatever works best though.

Thanks

Greg,

Welcome to the Forums and the sport! You will find many of us "Old Paratroopers" in here. Some may even have served with you along the way.

I would go with JP (Diablopilot) on the jump recommendations. Yep Static line is where you have some experience and trust, but the progression JP is Talking about will be just fine for you too.

Not every thing from your Mil jumps will cross over, but some items will, PLF's (you wont have to learn too much there, a little, sure) and our five points of performance are a bit different , but we still have them!

But if you have questions or need "translating" feel free to ask any of us Old Paratroopers. We ain't hard to find.;)

Matt

An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!