jraf

Florida Weekend report

Greetings Earthlings!
This weekend was fun, fun, fun. Started out on Friday. Had to wake up at 4:30 AM. Quite honestly it's a good time to go to sleep, but waking up at this ungodly hour is tough. The drive to ZHills was great though. I was going opposite to the morning traffic. I saw all these busy bees heading for their daily dose of paid slavery while I was going DIVING. What a great feeling.
The morning coffee did not seem to wake me. I arrived at ZHills, collected Janine and Khan and we went to Doris' house to get her and the gear. From there we ventured on to Cristal River. Khan was doing his certification and I was basically doing my recurrency. We had three freshwater dives in Cristal Springs and Cristal River 75 minutes, 25 minutes and 65 minutes. At Cristal River we went into an underwater cave. Wow was I scared. The place was full of blue shell crabs, large and very agile. They were sitting on the sides of the chimney you had to dive down into the cave. I am arachnophobic, and so halfway down this narrow shaft I started hyperventilating and had a small panic attack. NOT good. I did get it under controll and survived, but it was scary. Friday night as usual a huge party at the DZ. The annoying thing was that at 2:00 AM a group arrived at the camping groung and started setting up their tents and grilling. The music and activity went on till 5:00 AM!!!. I was considering just walking over and shooting them, but decided against as I would have to dig shallow graves for them. Bad choice with al the mosquitos around;).
Saturday I had a problem waking up. I went to the rest room, took a piss and than I grabbed the paper towel dispenser handle and expected it to flush the toilet - when it did not happen I decided that a morning skydive would solve my problem. It certainly did. I had a really nasty line twist that sent me spinning all over the sky. I was just a split second from cutting away. I landed wide awake.;)
Saturday evening a whole group of us went to eat Italian -mmmmmmmm, yummy. Later on another party at the DZ.
Sunday - great jumping with new guys. In the morning at breakfeast we noticed a bunch of Porsches entering the closed runway where they usually have car shows. After opening on the first jump I looked down and saw at least 60 of these noble machines. Guess where I am landingB| I thought. I turned around and went for a perfect demo landing. I slid in on my shoes across the still wet morning grass to the applause of the crowd. What an ego tripB|!!!. At the end of the day Big Chris had a total main canopy malfunction cutaway above the airport. So we went to look for his canopy and freebag. Standing on the back of a Toyota truck with a Sam Adams in my hand observing the sunset - life does not get much better.
Enclosed water diving pictures of yours trulyB|
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

ujraf2.jpg

ujraf.jpg

In the morning at breakfeast we noticed a bunch of Porsches entering the closed runway where they usually have car shows

did it look anything like 5 times the attachement below!? (the other photo is an overview of the whole air base - the road course is the "growth" attached to the top runway)

Yea tho I may have but 112 skydives in 56 weeks in the sport but I have over ten years at sports car racing! My credentials compare with having USPA D, PRO, and AD simultaneously... guess which sport I took up at age 18?!?B|

Winnipeg is a city of about 700,000 and, despite 6 months of "winter", we have a fairly decent representation of "summer" cars like the fabled Porsche. AS a seasoned racer I was "invited" to instruct at the Auto Haus Porsche Driving Experience two weeks ago. These drivers did not "show" their cars, they were there to learn how quick and fast they were. We, the instructors, were more like hands-off Tandem Masters to the "students". Um, demonstrating an in-control fast lap or eight, the reactions were not dis-similar to what I see from FJC students. It sure felt great to be the instructor again for a change. And 'Terminal' in 2-D just isn't the same anymore ;)

...Nice call on the demo swoop!

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

WSCC Porsche Clinic photo 44.JPG

Over the Gimli Dropzone.JPG