Slappie

You will never look at movies....

... the same way again. The introduction of WiMax was a success.

Wired Article

Some of the article:

The success of the Rize screening may hold broad ramifications for the future of the movie business.

But first, here's how it worked: Intel technicians in Hillsboro, Oregon, encrypted Rize, which was shot on high-definition digital video. The file was streamed to Salt Lake City, then beamed via microwave to Park City and through a WiMax connection to the top of a 10,000-foot mountain.

A receiver at the ski lodge sent the file to an HP Media Center PC, where it was decoded and projected through a high-end digital projector. Intel's wireless connections allowed huge amounts of data to travel quickly -- at up to 24 Mbps, about 20 times as much throughput as DSL provides.

The installation of the equipment wasn't trouble-free: The mountaintop antenna was knocked loose by the same storm that caused deadly avalanches in Park City earlier this month. Intel techs had to travel on a Sno-Cat through gnarly terrain to fix it.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

I'll bet you there's already a bootleg somewhere :D:D:D:D:D:P

Probably B| not that I would know anything about that kind of stuff. :)

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

It's interesting what they are doing at movie theatres now, and what they have in the works. What is even more interesting, I think, is what they have to do to comply with certain expectations that the public has regarding the cinema...

They have found that screening movies digitally, they are too "TV like", so they are having to come up with ways to show movies in the lesser quality of film, while still taking advantage of technology, but not having to send reels of film for every movie.

It's amazing how much money and time they are spending on making the picture less clear. :S

-S

They have found that screening movies digitally, they are too "TV like", so they are having to come up with ways to show movies in the lesser quality of film, while still taking advantage of technology, but not having to send reels of film for every movie.

Film isn't really a "lesser" quality. In fact, the technology to shoot and broadcast video in a quality comparable to film has only been around for, I would estimate, a little under ten years. The makers of the last Star Wars film, which was shot almost entirely on video (slow motion scenes were still shot on film), spent millions to make the footage look more film-like. The blacks in most high definition video systems still look a little washed out, and a lot of people (including audiences) still prefer the color registration and "look" of film to video. I'm finally convinced that video really is the future of cinema, but the technology is still a few years away.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

I realize that the quality of the image is actually clearer, but what I was referring to more are the imperfections that we have come to expect...the little marks on the film, etc.