opurt

First jump. First metal.

Yeah... but wth is this lidocaine stuff? Are you saying they could have done that for ME too? I had morphine but that was it!! It didn't do anything for when they stabilized and relocated it before the surgery. >:( I'm jealous!!!

I've heard some unpleasant stories about ankle relocations. I'd broken and dislocated a finger before, and the relocation for that was no fun. I expected the ankle to be much worse.

For this, the doctor first took a small needle and injected a spot at the front of my ankle with lidocaine. Several minutes later, he came back with a big needle, like 2 inches long. He pushed that deep into the joint area and emptied the big syringe full of lidocaine. It didn't particularly sting as the area had already been partially anesthetized. He left to do paper work. This allowed the lidocaine to fully permeate and numb the joint.

Several minutes later, he came back and relocated the joint. A sense of pressure, some pain, and I felt it pop back in. It took maybe ten seconds, from grasping the foot, to rotating it in the joint to verify it was completely in. It felt a bit better after the joint was relocated. It was not particularly painful. Much less unpleasant than I'd anticipated.

Everyone from the paramedics to the doctors to the nurses were interested in pain management. They asked me several times, "On a scale of 0 to 10, 0 being no pain, 10 being the worst pain of your life, what are you feeling now?" The pain from the injury stabilized around 5-6. During the relocation, it went up to a seven for a moment.

Surgery was no problem for me. Happy drugs plus an epidural and I absolutely did not feel a thing below my waist. The worst pain was when the epidural wore off, and they had not hooked up the morphine pump yet. It got up to a 7-8 at that point. I let a nurse know I was uncomfortable. They quickly hooked up the pump. Then I started pressing the morphine delivery button and got back to my happy place B|

Honey, after all that, I believe you are owed beer. And plenty of it!!!!

Sorry your first taste of ecstasy had such a crap ending.[:/]

If I ever meet you, I'll buy you beer and a shot or two!!! Just cause you had the presence of mind to get pics and then post them.B|

Thanks! One of the more annoying elements of this convalescence is not drinking beer. Since I can't load the ankle, and beer can cause balance issues, I've decided to forgo beer for the duration. Plus it might not mix well with the Percocets. Three dry weeks so far. Four to five more to go. I have a fridge full of Anchor Steam, Victory Golden Monkey, Sam Adams Boston Ale and others, waiting patiently for me :)

You have a real gift for communication... it'll be a shame not to hear more of your stories if you don't continue in the sport.

Thanks! My incoherence in thinking and speaking probably balances out any facility I may have with writing! :o

Occasionally though, an amazing experience like a first skydive manages to bring it all together. B|