Slappie

ROWE - do you know?

We were talking about this lastnight over some drinks. Could you handle this work schedule? I think I'd love it!

The endeavor, called ROWE, for "results-only work environment," seeks to demolish decades-old business dogma that equates physical presence with productivity.

Link to the Yahoo Story here.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

It would increase my efficiency exponentially if I knew I could be off doing something fun instead of just putting in time for time's sake...

Then again, I also wouldn't be spending as much quality time with you lot of weirdos, and that would make me sad.

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

It seems to me that blurring the line between work and life has it's disadvantages, too. Sure, you don't have to physically be at work all the time, which is nice, but it also means that you have to do work while you're out having fun. Personally, I really enjoy not having to worry about my work while I'm at home, or at the dz, or anywhere else besides work. This system essentially makes work part of your lifestyle, instead of just something you do for money.

But this one really intrigues me:

And the company plans to take its clockless campaign to its stores--a high-stakes challenge that no company has tried before in a retail environment.

How the hell is that gonna work?

It seems to me that blurring the line between work and life has it's disadvantages, too. Sure, you don't have to physically be at work all the time, which is nice, but it also means that you have to do work while you're out having fun. Personally, I really enjoy not having to worry about my work while I'm at home, or at the dz, or anywhere else besides work. This system essentially makes work part of your lifestyle, instead of just something you do for money.

But this one really intrigues me:

And the company plans to take its clockless campaign to its stores--a high-stakes challenge that no company has tried before in a retail environment.

How the hell is that gonna work?

Very good points. About the work/play scenario.

I'm also very curious how it's going to work into their retail environment. Specially during the holidays and busy times of year. Let's say I'm a cashier and know it's going to be murder on a Saturday afternoon during Christmas holiday. Along with all the other cashiers. So we all decide to leave at 2pm.. The bedlam it would cause would be enough to start a reality show over. :ph34r:

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

The only thing I can think of to curb that would be a commission system. I know that Fry's pays their cashiers something like $0.25 for every $10 that comes into their till. That way you'd actually be encouraged to work during the busy times. But the downside to that is there's less motivation to work when it's not busy.

Man, what a logistical nightmare. :S

I constantly use this as my excuse when they catch me doing something other than work.

I just say hey, I'm efficient not my problem. No one ever says anything because I always have my work done.

Ya my boss knows I get my work done. So he allows me little perks like surfing DZ.com and other non-work related content. He'll let me slide in and out 20 mins or so. My biggest complaint is the fact I have to occupy this chair 8 to 9 hours a day. Granted I'm in a manufacturing environment. But, it's not assembly line work. We build specialty pipe inspection equipment for steel mills.

There were rumblings a few years back about switching to 4 10s and such. Giving some flextime bonuses. Nothing ever came from it because the HR Mgr got fired. Go figure. :|