JAC

School email...

With everything that happened at Virginia Tech yesterday our school held a vigil to honor those affected by the horrific event. I also received an email yesterday that today's mass would be dedicated to prayer for those affected by this as well.

However, this morning I received an email from the Dean of Students that instructed that classes would be cancelled until noon because of a "non-specific" bomb threat in which they are sweeping our campus. About an hour after the email I received a second email extending the school closing time until 5pm today or further notice. Of course I attend school in the evening, but am confused/concerned as to what a "non-specific" bomb threat is?

Of course I attend school in the evening, but am confused/concerned as to what a "non-specific" bomb threat is?

Not sure, but they are not narrowing it down to anything, as they probably don't know the details themselves.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I was considering starting a thread about this myself. I just got word about the bomb threat from my boss (my building is, what, 3 miles away?) and while we're not doing much about it, we're all on alert.

I wonder how many other schools are going through something similar today.

Of course I attend school in the evening, but am confused/concerned as to what a "non-specific" bomb threat is?

Not sure, but they are not narrowing it down to anything, as they probably don't know the details themselves.

I just spoke with another student, in which he said they found a "note on campus".

I was considering starting a thread about this myself. I just got word about the bomb threat from my boss (my building is, what, 3 miles away?) and while we're not doing much about it, we're all on alert.

I wonder how many other schools are going through something similar today.

I'm guessing a number of schools/institutions are unfortunately going through similar things.

Not that this helps any...

Threatening note prompts closure of St. Edward's
4/17/2007 10:41 AM
By: Associated Press

Authorities evacuated the buildings on the St. Edward's University campus in Austin on Tuesday morning.

A school official says that's after a threatening note was found in a restroom.

St. Edward's spokeswoman Mischelle Amador said Austin police are on campus searching the buildings. She says she doesn't have more information about the contents of the note.

She said St. Edward's students and staff who already were on campus were asked to gather around the soccer field, away from the buildings. Everyone else was asked to stay off campus until noon.

About 5,200 undergraduate and graduate students are enrolled at the Catholic university south of downtown Austin.

The bomb threat there comes a day after a Virginia Tech student killed 32 people and himself in the deadliest shooting rampage in modern U.S. history.

http://www.news8austin.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=182588

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Not that this helps any...

Threatening note prompts closure of St. Edward's
4/17/2007 10:41 AM
By: Associated Press

Authorities evacuated the buildings on the St. Edward's University campus in Austin on Tuesday morning.

A school official says that's after a threatening note was found in a restroom.

St. Edward's spokeswoman Mischelle Amador said Austin police are on campus searching the buildings. She says she doesn't have more information about the contents of the note.

She said St. Edward's students and staff who already were on campus were asked to gather around the soccer field, away from the buildings. Everyone else was asked to stay off campus until noon.

About 5,200 undergraduate and graduate students are enrolled at the Catholic university south of downtown Austin.

The bomb threat there comes a day after a Virginia Tech student killed 32 people and himself in the deadliest shooting rampage in modern U.S. history.

http://www.news8austin.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=182588

Thanks for the information. It was a little freaky getting the email first thing this morning. Hopefully nothing materializes from this, and it still has me very hesitant to think about going tonight even if they do open campus back up.