Mad_Jasper

AFF2 Today - It was GREAT!!!

I was near the DZ because of my daughter's cheerleading competition so we decided to take a chance on getting AFF2 in after it was over. Got there about 4:30, but they squeezed me on the sunset ride, which was alone awesome.

I felt much more relaxed and confident than AFF1. AFF1 I felt that I had barely enough time to do what I was supposed to do before 6000 ft and had decided if I made my turns and forward movement once, I'd be happy. Turns out that I repeated my turns and forward movement 3 times before wave off. It was great... for the first time I actually felt that I was flying.

The only hand signals from the instructors was a thumbs up. I felt stable and totally in control from the time I left the plane. I had a problem with my deployment. I pulled and on my 3 count, the still no semblance of a canopy. When I got to 5, I looked over my should as my instructor punched my chute and it opened. I had a few line twist, but kicked out of them easily.

I had a lot more confidence with canopy control and did a few spirals on the way down. I still misjudged my landing. Last time I flared to late, this time to early. PLF worked wonderfully.

Overall, the only correction by my instructors was that I was a little too aggressive on my first set of turns, but corrected it on my subsequent sets. While I flared early, they said I executed my PLF flawlessly.

I do have a question though. How much control do I actually have in my freefall? My instructors told me they were along for the ride and I honestly barely knew they were there, but I don't know.

Oh, and the plot treated us to a little 0G on the way up.

It was a great day!!!

I was near the DZ because of my daughter's cheerleading competition so we decided to take a chance on getting AFF2 in after it was over. Got there about 4:30, but they squeezed me on the sunset ride, which was alone awesome.

It was a great day!!!

Glad it went well. What DZ are you going to?
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

There only one closer and that's Opelika AL. They're only open on weekends and they will require me to retake AFF for reasons I won't get into. Weekends only are the biggest problem for me. There are several DZs within a 250 mile radius, but for now, I'll stick with ASC even though the owners are not well respected within the sport.

I'll stick with ASC even though the owners are not well respected within the sport.

I can assure you there is nothing wrong with the DZ itself and I saw the "owner" there only once in a few last years ;)
Meanwhile 250 miles one way is not that convenient to drive for only one or two jumps unless you have no problems with that.
Another thing I find very useful for AFF students is a reading Sec 4 of SIM when you have time.
http://www.uspa.org/SIM/Read/Section4/tabid/166/Default.aspx

For the tandem and the AFF1 it was worth it. After the tandem, I felt like this might be an hobby I would really enjoy. I decided to do AFF1 and take a few days to reflect on it. We were in Duluth Saturday and had time to drive over (about 70 miles) for AFF2 and after that I am completely hooked. I was going back Sunday night and stay until Tuesday, but the weather wasn't cooperative, so I'm going back tonigh and try to get as many jumps as I can while feeling comfortable with what I'm learning. Then I'll go back over the weekend and try to finish AFF.

Thanks for the link. I'm reading over it now.

Sorry, Leesburg Ga. I spent the last two days in Cerdartown... only jumped twice because of the weather though. There's a place in Thomaston, GA that's open on weekends. I thought Thomaston around Statesboro, Ga but actually only 90 miles away. My mistake. I should have looked it up when first heard about it.

I finished AFF3 and 4 yesterday. It was a lot of fun.