klafollette

Experience with Air Ambulance Services?

Need to get a sick relative from Phoenix to Chicago. Is bed-ridden, can't walk, heavy-weight, on full-time oxygen. Not critical, but would need nursing care during trip. Considered a ground-coach medical transport, but don't think they could deal with the 20+ hour drive.

Anybody know of a reputable air-ambulance company/service?

Any other ideas other than a $20K trip in a Lear? And no wise-ass "lease the Frankenotter" or "just roll her into a Casa" comments.

Several airlines have programs where people donate frequent flyer miles to help transport patients that ordinarily couldn't accord to fly, you may want to look at different airlines, United is based in Chicago, so I would start with them.

Good luck.
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

Yahoo is your friend:

http://www.aams.org/Content/NavigationMenu/AboutAAMS/OnlineMemberDirectories/FixedWingServices/default.htm

Fixed-wing air medical is a very established field of care. If the above link doesn't pan out, my suggestion would be to get in touch with some of the local ERs in your area. They probably won't know any fixed wing companies, but they WILL know the ground and helicopter transport companies, who in turn could probably turn you on to a fixed wing company. If the ERs won't give you the time of day (hey, I dig it, they're damn busy) try calling the hospital ombudsman during normal working hours.

Regardless of how you get in touch with them, when you contact them make sure you have all the information on your sick relative, including SSN and Medicare/Medicaid/Insurance info. They'll also want to know a lot about the patient's condition to assure their condition isn't a contraindication to flight.

Elvisio "future flight nurse, hopefully" Rodriguez

Air Evac has three helos and two King Airs that sit on Sky Harbor Airport just West of Swift Aviation. Swift Aviation fuels them, you could call them to get a contact number to Air Evac.

You could also try a company called NetJets. They are also fueled by Swift Aviation. They are a lease company, but they might bend the rules for you.
How high are we going? Oh about 9000. Oh Mr. Pilot! How high are we going? Oh about 12000! That's the ticket!