Evelyn

Adding Weights to Rig

I'm going to have weights added to my rig as soon as it arrives. Just wondering how much weight I should have put in my rig. I normally jump with about 19 lbs. of lead, but sometimes add additional weight. I'm always going to have to wear lead and will still need to wear a weight belt even with lead in my rig. So I'm wondering should I put like 5 lbs., 10 lbs. into my rig? Also I'm wondering where they put the lead on the rig? Anyone else have this done?

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

wow. if you have a 1:1 wingloading on a 150, then you should weigh about 132-135 ish. are you really tall? your comment about always having to wear weight took me back a bit. that shouldn't always be the case....something to think about.

but, with that said, my rig has weights as an option and the weights go in the backpad area (directly against your back). if you're wearing 19 pounds now (wow! that still sounds like a LOT - unless you're jumping with guys 170+ all the time), then you could probably put 10 pounds in and make up the rest with a belt. it'll be a bit more of a pain to carry around, but hey, the plus is that your rig doesn't slide while packing. ;)

hope this helps...

arlo :ph34r:

wow. if you have a 1:1 wingloading on a 150, then you should weigh about 132-135 ish. are you really tall?

Yeah, 5'6" and weigh between 115-120 lbs. Even with a tight slick jumpsuit and a good arch still need the weights.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

While working at Rigging Innovations, I retro-fitted weights in a variety of places for a variety of needs.

Balance weights were installed: inside reserve containers, in upper back pads or 3-ring covers.

Weights to adjust fall rate were installed inside main containers or in the lower portion of the back pad.

Clearly, weights inside the reserve container are the most difficult to adjust.
Weights inside main containers are slightly easier to adjust.
Adjusting weights in back pads is a one-minute job.
Finally, only weights in 3-ring covers can be quickly jettisoned if you open over open water.

The best people to do these complex modifications is the original manufaturer.
I would start by asking Mr. Ferrington (Velocity Sports) to sew up a custom back pad for your Inifinity. Ask him to sew two sets of weight pockets (high and low) on your new back pad, then schedule a rainy week (as if it ever rains in Southern California, hee! hee!) to ship your rig back to the factory.