skydiver30960

dog-boning (get your mind out of the gutter!)

One of the guys who taught me rigging once said "the Senior ticket is really just a 'license to learn'" and I've always thought that was kinda true. I'm always finding new ways to improve technique that results in a more confident, cleaner-looking, and easier-packing reserve. Here's one I need a little work on: dog-boning. (At least that's what I've heard it called in the past):S

It's just one of the things I never got great at: leaving enough fabric exposed at the sides of the mouth of the freebag to help fill the corners of the reserve pack tray. It helps create a pocket for the Cypres and moves a precious amount of pack volume to the outside of the pack job, which always makes the rig close better. I also figure that it would put the stabilizers into the wind quicker, which could only help speed up deployment.

Does anybody know of any websites or particular packing instructions that offer good pics of how to get good dog-bones on the freebag?

Thanks for all the help;

Elvisio "new dog, new tricks" Rodriguez

I believe there is a Riggers Interest Group web site that you may get your answers from.
Try www.rig.com or some combinations of that.

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

This is NOT appropriate for all rigs. Some manufacturers instruct you to do what you describe and some tell you to have ALL of the canopy in the bag. One place to get instruction from the makers is at the PIA International Parachute Symposium, next in Jacksonville next January. Go to www.pia.com.

Ok, so it's a shameless plug.:P
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE