base283

Tailpocket bridle entanglements

Short of making this a poll, can you tell me some things about the jump scenario.
Delay.
Pin or Velcro?
Tracking or static deployment?
Deep Brake Setting Opinion.
Primary stow number of wraps?
Small mesh or big mesh?
Vented canopy?
Thanks in advance,
take care,
space

Hey Tracy here's mine.

8 sec delay, unvented canopy (dagger) with 2pin container (perigee pro), direct and indirect control of the slider (2 wraps), large mesh slider, slider gate, shallow brake settings and the opening was in a track. For this jump I didn't do anything different as I always do, the only thing (but in this case if anything I think it should have helped prevent more this weird mal) was to make bigger the slider bite that goes on the C line rubber band because I was getting hard openings. Also this canopy was one size bigger than my usual canopy.

Thanks to unclecharlie for bring the "weird mal" thread up again. From the picture it was exactly what I had.

Mucho BASE

Hey Tracy here's mine.
8 sec delay, unvented canopy (dagger) with 2pin container (perigee pro), direct and indirect control of the slider (2 wraps), large mesh slider, slider gate, shallow brake settings and the opening was in a track.

Which PC ? Size, vented, ZP / F111 ?
http://www.ufufreefly.com

8 sec delay, unvented canopy (dagger) with 2pin container (perigee pro), direct and indirect control of the slider (2 wraps), large mesh slider, slider gate, shallow brake settings and the opening was in a track. For this jump I didn't do anything different as I always do, the only thing (but in this case if anything I think it should have helped prevent more this weird mal) was to make bigger the slider bite that goes on the C line rubber band because I was getting hard openings. Also this canopy was one size bigger than my usual canopy.

Thanks to unclecharlie for bring the "weird mal" thread up again. From the picture it was exactly what I had.

Very familiar, spooky even. Here's mine:

Atmosphere 2 pin rig.
Dagger 277, big mesh slider.
38" Vented ZP PC.
Phoenix Fly tracking jacket and pants. (No helmet... idiot)

Nothing different to usual pack job except that I changed the slider control bungies, cut a small bungie in half and larks headed it round the centre C line attachments. Bungied slider to both centre C's with an extra wrap (2-3 wraps can't remember which) because of the thinner bungie. I think I also changed the primary stow bungie in the tail pocket, I'll check and confirm... anyway, double wrapped the primary stow.

Solo jump. Good track from "The Nose", 8 - 10 sec, pitched over the little field behind the farm. A noticably slow opening, looked up and thought 'not good', looked down and thought 'not good either', passed the tops of the trees descending quickly under a canopy that looked like a bow tie. Braced for impact, the canopy started stalling out and dumped me on my heels and flat on my back from just short of tree height (I think). Really thought I'd fucked myself. But, missed every rock in the field (got to love Swiss farmers for keeping their fields tidy ;-) Once I'd checked that I could feel and move fingers and toes and that all limbs, back, head and neck were, reasonably, intact. I got out of my gear where I impacted thinking 'you lucky, lucky bastard!' and checked the canopy.

The tail pocket had come up over the bridle then passed back under the bridal, back between the first pass and the bridle attachment piont, then headed back to it's usual place at the back of the canopy. So, tied it's self in a locked-off knot. Bizzare.

The only thing I can think of that caused this was slowing the opening down too much.

The canopy didn't fly too well, the front edge was pulled back a bit and the back edge a lot, very little response to toggle input.

My verdict: don't slow your openings down too much or random things start happening.

[Injuries: broken wrist, bruised heel, dislocated rib, wrenched knee, loose teeth and a badly bitten tongue. Every one say 'Ahhh, poor thing!']