northtrials

Ground Launching as Canopy trianing

Hi,

Sorry for another just started skydiving and looking to get in to BASE thread! Hope I can be quick!

Currently I'm not that well off and the number of skydives I'm making is pretty steady. I was thinking I might get an old BASE rig and go ground launching as where I am in the UK the DZ's are few and far between but we have a plethora of mountains and hills.

Is this a reasonable idea in that there are skills I can learn ground launching that will help when I eventually start jumping, or should I concentrate on making just skydives and doing the drills there.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Pete

Ground launching will give you flight experience under canopy, but it does nothing to simulate the deployment sequence which is, more often than not, the point at which shit begins to go horribly wrong.

I'm not saying it won't be valuable, I'm just saying it won't be valuable where you need it most.

That said, GLing in itself is not just "kite and go". It involves site and weather analysis and these skills will translate to BASE. Also, in this case, you'd probably be better served to start out w/ a traditional skydiving canopy which will give you a better glide, which will let you start out on more gradual sloping hills. You need to walk before you can run. Talk to some of the experienced canopy pilots at your DZ and get some GL training.
-C.

Ground launching will give you flight experience under canopy, but it does nothing to simulate the deployment sequence which is, more often than not, the point at which shit begins to go horribly wrong.

I'm not saying it won't be valuable, I'm just saying it won't be valuable where you need it most.

That said, GLing in itself is not just "kite and go". It involves site and weather analysis and these skills will translate to BASE. Also, in this case, you'd probably be better served to start out w/ a traditional skydiving canopy which will give you a better glide, which will let you start out on more gradual sloping hills. You need to walk before you can run. Talk to some of the experienced canopy pilots at your DZ and get some GL training.
-C.

What he said... but it will definately help your landing skills. In a way that landing in a great big grassy field with no obstructions in any direction, can't.

Don't hurt yourself.