Maxim

Pilot Chute Sizes.

Heya all,

Been interesting some of the comments i seen on the sizes of pilot chutes people use these days seems to differ alot between people.

Please write what pilot chutes you own (48, 46, 42, 40, 38, 36, 32, 30) and what heights you use them and what size your canopy is.

Thanks hopefully we can get some good info outta this thread.

Life is Great. Even Greater what we do with it.

Yo,
I use a:
46" for up to 2 seconds. hand held.250-350ft.
42"over 350ft up to 3 seconds slider off.
38" vented w/ large mesh slider 4-8 seconds, but not over due to my recent PC occilations causing off headings that spooked me.
34" vented PC w/large mesh slider on my Mojo 260 up to terminal.
so far so good.
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

I would suggest that you research PC threads so that you understand all the dynamics of PC´s. The numbers you refer to have not much to do with the drag or stability factors. Are the dimensions you refer to; Cut size? Finished size? Block or biased constructed (upto 30% difference in drag)? Vented? small or large mesh? The list goes on.
52, 46, 42, 36,
All are bias constructed and these sizes are the cut size. My 36" has small mesh.
take care,
space
PS, I will do a poll.

Yeah that was the general reason for the thread. for people to write what types of PC's they use. and what situations and height they use them in.

Life is Great. Even Greater what we do with it.

I understand what you asked. The results of your question can be very misleading and this is what I am trying to point out.

take care and do my poll please.
space

The "characteristics" or elements of which you speak are automatically built into the pc charts offered by manufacturers when they advise you on the use of their equipment. The manufacturer boils it down to something simple for the consumer. Asylum/CR advises:

0-2 seconds-46 inch pc
2-4 seconds-42 inch pc
4-7 seconds-38 inch pc
7+ second delay 32 inch pc

Each manufacturer knows the construction of their pc's and the weight range of the canopies they produce and all factors to be considered for their equipment recommendations;for the consumer it is just a consideration of PC sizes, no manufacturer complicates customer communication going into the detail....

Each manufacturer has their own recommendations; hence alot of the differences you are seeing. And then some people do their own thing, which works, apparently, well for them (as their choice, at their risk). Going stowed from 300 feet for example. 42 in pc are easier to pack stowed then a 46 (manufacturer recommendation) so alot of people haul off a short stowed delay with the 42. Seems to work fine. YMMV.

0-2 seconds-46 inch pc
2-4 seconds-42 inch pc
2-5seconds slider up-42 inch pc
i never tryed a terminal jump,i probaly would use a 38 as i dont have anything smaller:P

that said i saw 42´s in action in the 0.5-1.5sec range and would say that i might would use it there aswell depending on different factors,but 46 to preffere...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber