mdowling

Bridge Day Advice

Fine folks of BASE jumping,

I'm about to foray into your world by jumping at Bridge Day 2003. I can't wait. I've read many threads in this discussion group in preparation for my first BASE jump. I'd love to hear any words of wisdom from those who've been there, done that. I remember an advice thread being very helpful prior to my first WFFC. Impart your wisdom. I'm listening. See you in West Virginia.

Best,
Matt

1) Have fun.
2) If you're not scared, even on your 597th BASE jump, then you need to find a new sport.
3) It's not if, but when you get busted up in this sport. Get some good medical insurance.
4) Tell your family what you're doing. Don't tell your insurance company or your boss.
5) Get the best BASE gear on the market. You'll have no reserve.
6) Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints.
7) Respect the object and leave it in better condition when you leave.
8) Listen to the valuable advice of your BASE elders.
9) Learn from the mistakes of others. I suggest you watch "The Best & Worst of Bridge Day" video by the late Will Forshay if you can get a copy.
10) If in doubt, don't jump. The smartest BASE jumpers are those who live to jump another day.
11) Quality is always better than the quantity of jumps.
12) Travel the world, make new friends, and nurture those relationships throughout your life. My best friends do not reside in my hometown, but they are BASE jumpers who live around the world.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

See ya there!

Keep the damn kerosene away from me this time, mother fucker!:ph34r:

My advice: If you step off the bridge, don't forget to flik that nylon thingy in your hand.;)

tbone

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

If you step off the bridge, don't forget to flik that nylon thingy in your hand

Yeah, that one's pretty important. ;)

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

All great advice. I do disagree with this one as being a universal rule.

Don't tell your insurance company or your boss.

It depends on your situation and work environment. I personally think that if your work environment is fairly cool, your boss should know. My office knows I go skulking around antennas at night and pretty much just sort of shrug it off (and probably think I'm a little loony).

I figure if the know up front, when you eventually DO get busted/busted up, there are no nasty surprises.

Now my situation my be very unique, but the less surprises with people like your boss, the better IMHO.

- Z

Great advice 428! Couldna said it better myself.
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"

Oh, and just so someday you aren't surprised to learn Jason's right about getting busted up in this sport, please read this: World BASE Fatalities List.

Find a very experienced BASE mentor to take you under his/her wing. Ground crew a BASE jump. Learn to pack. Pack a lot.

Make yer own (well-informed) choices and prepare to live by them.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

I'd love to hear any words of wisdom from those who've been there

Um, how about don't stay out til 3am the night before, drinking and partying and almost getting put in jail for speeding and DWI because you think you're invincible because you're gonna become a BASE jumper the next day.

If you do get pulled over, just say "I'm a friend of Jason's", even though you've never met him. Chances are you'll go free.

My intro into the wonderful sport of BASE:

Jump #1 Still drunk
Jump #2 Hung over LAMF

Seriously though, there you'll be around some of the best BASE jumpers in the world, though you've never heard of them. They'll usually be the one's off by themselves doing their own thing, meticulously going over their gear.
Pick their brains. Watch them pack. Ask all the stupid questions you want.

If you need gear, like pilot chutes, risers, toggles etc... it will be there at the trade show before the jumping begins. If you're gonna keep BASE jumping after you come home, get as much gear as you can/afford ,there, while it's there readily available. That way when you get back home and find yourself needing a 38" vented PC like in a hurry, you'll have it already.

Damn you're gonna have fun! ;)

Rod

Jump #1 Still drunk
Jump #2 Hung over LAMF

HAHAHAHA!!!! You and 399 other jumpers. :S

One of the things that really struck me was how genuinely nice and helpful the experienced BASE jumpers were. So, yes, do not be afraid to ask questions. Folks will be more than glad to help.

I can't tell you how many times I saw a newbie jumper (myself included) fumbling with his gear and a jumper would just walk up and start helping.

That's when I knew I really liked the BASE culture. B|

C'ya there!

- Z

That's when I knew I really liked the BASE culture.

Ah yea, it's definitely a comradery you will never forget.

C'ya there!

No, unfortunately I won't be part of the "Texans Invade Bridge Day" this year. Yall have fun. :)
Rod

1. Start now.

2. Try to get your rig together right away and skydive the canopy (setup just as you would for a skydive) you plan to use a few times to dial in your ldgs. It's not a terribly small lz (unless the water is up), but it can be ominous, especially when coupled with the other concerns.

3. Attend the first jump seminars put on by the BD staff. They provide this service freely - take it.

4. Practice head-high exits into the pool. You should hit the water knees, waist, chest, arms, head.

5. Be ready the night before; do not go to bed without having all of your shit together - the day starts early, and you'll be out all day: plan for taking only what you need, but all that you'll need. As other's have said, try to get some sleep; afterall, you can party like a rockstar on Sat. night after BD when everyone else does.

6. Of course you're going to be watching other jumpers while you're waiting in line, but try to watch for errors in exit body position that result in head-down attitude at deployment time. This is the single most common mistake of the 1st time jumper.

7. Keep informed of the current wind conditions while in line; make a mental note of canopy flight paths that appear to be working well for others and consider mimicking them. Develop your own flight plan before you're standing at the exit point. Consider your delay. 876' is a lot of altitude for a BASE jump, but remember that you need some altitude to make the landing. Much more than 4.5 seconds of delay and you're gonna end up out of altitude to make the lz. Consider where you'll take your outs should you have a problem. Wear a hooknife. If you get in line twists and end up way off to one side or the other before clearing them, maybe consider the rr tracks, but don't hook it into the tracks - a steady, straight-in approach works fine. IF you have an off-heading opening, please immediately correct your heading. If you fly under the bridge, everybody has to wait on you. If you have a 90 degree right off-heading you're looking at rappelling ropes. Please correct this especially asap. You dry faster than you heal. Unless the water is raging, you're better off taking the water than hammering a poor canopy flight in on the rocks. The presence of the boats adds to your health and safety; if you do take the water, be _prepared_ to cutaway, but only at the request of the boat people (or, should you end up horribly far away from the boats, cut it away and don't worry about the canopy!! The river _WILL_ kill you). The boat people know what they are doing - listen to them.

8. If you are going hand-held, try to have your pilot chute out and properly folded before you get to the gear checkers so you're not fumbling about with it in the staging area. But don't fold it so far in advance that you've turned it to brick with palmsweat and a death grip.

9. After your gear check, start breathing and focus. When you are in position, wait until the jumpmaster gives you the signal to go. If you're going poised (standing with your toes hanging over the edge from a standing position), make your way to the edge. Make one final survey of the ground and airspace, imagine your flightpath. Enjoy the view and contemplate your existence. When you are ready, look up with your eyes on the horizon. DO NOT LOOK DOWN! Jump like you're trying to grab onto a bar that is five feet in front of you and ten feet high. Try to put your teats on the horizon. Once you're in the air you can look down with your eyes to enjoy the view.

10. Warp factor five Mr. Sulu. Enjoy the acceleration. Pitch at your intended delay. Try to land as planned. Try not to break yourself.

Lather, rinse, repeat. Meet back at the Holiday Inn for the post jump party. Have fun!

bsbd,
Gardner

Hey Gardner, I cant wait to try and "put my teats to the horizon". I think C. and I are gonna fly into ATL. and wagon train out to the bridge with you guys. Cant wait!
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"