caerdydd

premature at terminal

i've read in a few places that "there have been problems with velcro rigs opening prematurely at terminal, especially on wingsuit flights, or with worn velcro / overstuffed rigs, etc..."
it's my understanding that in skydiving, a premature leads to a horseshoe mal (not good) and that, if the pc is cleared, the horseshoe USUALLY becomes a streamer (time to chop).
so my question is: how did people deal with the premature openings with their velcro rigs? if they caused any fatalities or injuries, i apologize for re-opening the discussion, but i haven't read or heard of that being the case. so, what happened?
thanks.

Yuri has posted exceptionally useful informantion on this subject on the Base Board. I think it's in the wingsuit forum.

With his experiences, at least, the horsehoes cleared during the premature deployment by the PC extracting itself fom the BOC pouch. Clearly, this isn't something one would want to bet one's life on - and a failure of the PC to extract would almost certainly be a fatality (though I know of no confirmed BASE fatalities from horseshoe malfunctions - there is one from a cutaway from a dual-canopy BASE rig too low, the late Xavier Bongard).

Peace,

D-d0g
[email protected]
Dog's Den
+~+~+~+~
But this, surely, was the glory that no spirits, canine or human, had ever clearly seen, the light that never was on land or sea, and yet is glimpsed by the quickened mind everywhere.

Yo !

In addition to premature container openings i have witnessed a couple of incidents in Kjerag where small pilot chutes escaped from oversized pockets (older Reactor containers). While those deployments were normal, it presents a lethal danger on multi-way jumps. The fix for this problem is obvious and easy - tighten the pouch, you can put a small S-fold on it in 5 minutes using just needle and thread.

bsbd!

Yuri.