KolinskyDC

Buying first rig????

Hey everyone,

Fairly new to the sport and absolutely loving it. I am about to get my A license (if the weather will ever cooperate) and have started looking at used gear online. I know it is a pretty general question but does anyone have any ideas of where to begin. Any suggestions on which brands are better and why? At my DZ they have given me some input, but when I get online there is so much and just don't know what to think. I have been jumping a Navigator 260 (student gear) and did try a Raven 220, which I did not like as much as the Nav. I was told I would prob want a 190 even though I did not like the 220, was told it was the maker and not the size, so how do you know what the hell to buy? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Melissa

"May the best of your past be the worst of your future"

so how do you know what the hell to buy? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Read as much as you can online from the gear manufacturers websites. Ask as many questions as you need to. Ask people who are wearing different rigs about their choices etc. Basically gain as much knowledge as possible.:)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

dropping from a Nav 260 all the way to a 190 scares me. I started with a Nav 280 as a student then to the Nav 260 after 15 jumps, then to a sabre 230 at about 35 jumps (took 2 jumps to stand it up), tried a safire 229 ( didn't like it) then a Spectre 230 which I love. WL at 1.1

Not sure of your weight but dropping that fast from a NAV 260 might get ya slammed or at the very least get you lots of practice with your PLF's.

Your instructors are the ones that see you all the time but they aren't the ones flying the canopy you ARE! You will be jumping with 70 square feet less nylon above you. That is a big difference!

There is tons of info on this site. I know what I have learned here has helped me slow down and THINK about the decisions I make.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Don't buy large: You'll get 20 jumps and then have to downsize. Why not get as many jumps as you can in on the rental gear before yours arrives. I'm jumping a 170 whilst waiting for my 150 to arrive. I reckon if I can get this baby to land properly, then when mine arrives in a few weeks it will be fine. My major criteria was the long waiting lists on the containers - don't know if this helps in you case (Living in Europe, I had to go with the Atom to be sure by Xmas).

B|
-----------------------------------------------------------
GirlGuide/ The Lone Wanderer

rent different rigs for a while and ask your instructors who actually see you land. providing your weight will help with canopy size recommendations compared to your experience. search for a post on here about downsizing too quickly. wish i would have read it before going from a 7 cell 260(0.9wl) to 9 cell 190(1.3wl). big difference in no wind. heres the url for the first rig facts

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=762531;search_string=first%20rig

my advice, would be to take all advice you receive here with a grain of salt....no offense to anyone, but a lot advice is given by people that should not be giving it. do searches in these forums for mains and containers pros and cons, it will keep you busy for days....most importantly speak with your instructors and the more experienced jumpers at your dz!

good luck!

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Hard not to take offense at that really! :o I think newbies have something to offer in the way of advice as we are the ones doing our homework on trying out loads of rigs before we commit. I get sent up in a 190 for about 30 jumps and spent about a half hour coming home until someone had the sense to downsize me a bit!

(My first rig arrives this weekend - yeehah):ph34r:
-----------------------------------------------------------
GirlGuide/ The Lone Wanderer

Thanks for all the replies, I will take it all into my decision making process. I guess I probably knew that I needed to test out a bunch of different ones, but was just excited about the prospect of getting my own rig and not having to pay gear rentals anymore but I should be patient and wait. Since I won't be jumping as often through the winter I will use that time to do lots of research and will probably wait til the beginning of the summer season to get my own. Can't wait for the spring and summer, but oh boy am I gonna be broke [:/] So worth it though :)
Melissa

"May the best of your past be the worst of your future"

sorry you took offense!

I think newbies have something to offer in the way of advice as we are the ones doing our homework on trying out loads of rigs before we commit

this is a good thing...let me also point out that more experienced jumpers that have posted tons of information on these forums have not only done their homework like the above mentioned newbies but additionally have actually put a lot of jumps on this gear...i will take experience and knowledge over 'doing your homework' any day of the week!

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

I'll give my newbie 2 cents. . .

ASK YOUR INSTRUCTORS FOR THEIR ASSISTANCE!

I know there is great advice on this site, but there are so few people I know here and I know the JM's at my DZ.

IMHO. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

All gear decisions should be discussed with your instructor, but include your rigger in the decision making process too. There are plenty of instructors out there (and skydivers too) that can't explain the differences between the workings of 2 different containers. Riggers tend to know these types of things.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com