INTRODUCTION TO SKYDIVING
- When jumpmaster says "GET INTO POSITION", take your position in the door. You should be facing forward, with your left foot on the edge of the door. Keep your back low to avoid snagging your rig on the top of the door.
- When you are ready to exit, turn to your right and shout "CHECK IN!" to your main side JM.
- The JM will respond "OK!" and nod his head when you are ready to go.
- Do the exit count - "Ready! Set! Arch!"
- On "Arch!" step to the left, out of the plane. Try to remain facing forward, and try to hit the wing with your pelvis as you leave the plane. Remember to ARCH!
- Count to four, maintaining a hard arch - "One thousand! Two thousand! Three thousand! Four thousand!"
- Do three practice ripcord touches - "Arch! Reach! Feel! Back to arch!"
- Check your altitude by turning your head to look at the altimeter on your left hand.
- Look at your main side jump master and shout your altitude at him - "Ten thousand feet!"
- Respond to any hand signals your main side JM gives you.
- Check your altimeter once every five to ten seconds, and shout your altitude to the main side JM each time.
- At 5000 feet, wave off once, then arch-reach-feel-pull. Hang on to the ripcord after the pull!
- Start counting - "One thousand! Two thousand! . . . . . . Five thousand!" to give your parachute time to open.
- Check your canopy to make sure you have a good parachute, unstow your brakes, and head back to the landing area.
- Freefall awareness - Open your eyes and look around! Pay attention to hand signals.
- Altitude awareness - Check your altimeter once every 5-10 seconds, and tell your JM your altitude.
- Stability - Maintain the arch during the entire dive, especially on exit.
- Canopy control - Check your canopy upon opening, and listen to the radio during the descent.
LEVEL ONE HINTS:
- To fix stability problems - ARCH!
- Check your altimeter at least once every five seconds. Time goes fast up there.
- Remember to keep your legs out. Don't let them collapse on your butt.
REMEMBER THE MOST IMPORTANT PARTS OF ANY SKYDIVE:
PULL AT THE RIGHT ALTITUDE!
LAND SAFELY UNDER AN OPEN CANOPY!