kkeenan

Lodi CFWR Camp

To anyone who has not been following the 2007 quest to build a 100-Way CRW Formation, this is a pretty big project, consisting of several "camps" held around the world for people to train together to attempt the 100-Way at Lake Wales, Florida in November 2007.

The Lodi event was attended by 50-60 people, and the statistics are below as to the number of formations, etc. I was amazed at the level of training accomplished. In order to practice as many docks as possible, the "run-back" method was used. In this, after the initial formation is built and starbursted, the pilot turns back 180 degrees from the original heading, flies away from and below the group, then returns to the original heading, and the formation rebuilds. On a good jump, this allows everyone, even on relatively big formations, to make as many as 3 complete builds on one jump. That's how it is possible to get 1100 docks performed in a weekend. There were 22 2-point dives (most of those 16-ways) and 6 3-point dives. Quite a good practice session!! :)Info about the 2007 CFWR is at: http://www.cfworldrecord.com/2007/

Kirk VanZant totalled up the jumps. This is part of his report:
---------------------------
Over 1000 docks were made during the three day weekend!
Luckily for me, evaluation split times are only for the first point of a given dive.
That was a total 532 docks I had to time/watch (at least twice each - some as many as 5 times).

Summary -

Total jumps = 37

Total Complete
Formations = 68

Formation
Size......1 pt.....2 pt.....3 pt.....Number of Docks

1100 Estimated number of docks which includes
third point attempts and incomplete formations.

1 each 36-way attempt funneled after 20 people in.
1 each 16-way only built to 15 because of total malfunction
1 each 16-way attempt built to 12

...the "run-back" method was used. In this, after the initial formation is built and starbursted, the pilot turns back 180 degrees from the original heading, flies away from and below the group, then returns to the original heading, and the formation rebuilds...

And some pilots will make these run-backs deliberately `inconsistent' in both altitude and distance, to force people to asses the formation before or while turning back and practice level awareness.

--
Everything you know is wrong. But some of it is a useful first approximation.

And some pilots will make these run-backs deliberately `inconsistent'

Over here, a lot of ours claim to be doing that. But the "inconsistancy" seems too natural...:P

Kevin