roscoep

HC3 problem

This past weekend while in Eloy I was shooting some video on my HC3. While reviewing some tape, the camera suddenly and without warning shit the bed. Completely lost power as I was looking at the screen. Swapped batteries, still absolutely nothing, dead camera. So, my dilema is, I have an HC3 with no warranty but is new to me, a tape in the unit that I can't get out, and a dead camera. Does anyone have any clue as to what may have happened here besides the obvious (dead camera). I do not want to send it to a local camera shop just to be told that they need to send it to Sony. Anyone (DSE) know where I could ship it to get it looked at, tape retrieved, etc... thanks all.

I may be stating the obvious, but did you try plugging it into a power supply? If not...

A while back I used a place called Macie Video Service in Dedham, MA (not too far from you?)

http://www.macievideo.com

They primarily deal with broadcast equipment, but they had a guy that worked on consumer cams too and fixed my TRV-900. Fast turnaround, and all their work is in house.

Avoid sending it to Sony service in Texas....but as Phil mentioned, have you tried connecting it to power? Removed internal battery to reset?
Barring those two things, look for repair near you. I used to have a place to send the small cams (broadcast repair) but they've closed up shop.