eyeinthesky

closed dz's?

reading a previous post, it seems drop zones come and go. how common is that? i have 11 jumps at a dz thats been there since '69. i'd hate to see it ever go, its one of 2 in the state, and theres a lot of great people there. i am just wondering why they close, i guess. is it because the owner wants out to retire and no one offers to take over, is it legal disasters over accidents, is it FAA shutdowns, or is it unprofitability? thanks

never let anyone in your will pack your chute
hey, i was stupid before stupid was cool!

maybe it's because many people think it would be a dream come to true to own your own place to jump. not have to go to work. instead skydive for a living. then they realize it's alot of hassle and not that lucrative.

or like for instance where i jump it could be that a thrid dz got squezed out by the other competition.

i've also heard of dz's relocating or closing because of problems with the locals such as the airport and the city council.

lawsuits could be another. the plaintiff may not have much of a chance with a waiver but it still cost the dz's alot in attorny fees.

levin
vSCS#3

try to think of a DZ as any other business.
they can close for the same reason
-lack of demand.
-competition
-poor business decisions
-safety issues
-problems with the authorities (licenses)
and so on...

not saying that DZO are in it just for the money, but after all, it is their business.:ph34r:
O

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

A long time ago I was told "How do you make a small fortune in parachuting??? Start with a big one..."

Skypuppy
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone