yurihammo

Questions about NZ Diploma in Commercial Skydiving.

Hello skydivers!

I really need help with this so please be patient when you read my post! (Thank you in advance! :)I am going to do my best to try keep the first section of this thread focused, "to the point", without too much waffling about and the background to my questions in the second section. So without further a due:

I am highly interested in doing the Commercial Diploma in Skydiving in New Zealand because I want to do skydiving as a job (link: http://www.skydivingnz.com/diploma-in-commercial-skydiving).

*SECTION 1.0 - MAIN QUESTIONS*

I have searched the forums here on dropzone.com and the latest thread was from approximately 2 years ago. As far as I can see up till then the opinions deviated from good to bad (ie: it's badly organised, waste of time bla bla bla, to good and great).

My question to you lovely people:

(i) Can anyone (especially those who have done this course recently or met someone who has) tell me: What is this course like and is it worth doing?

(ii) Any recommendations on what I should do before I venture out to get my visas and plane tickets etc?

(iii) Where would you stay while you do the course? If you have done it, did you couchsurf or can you go full on hardcore and camp it at the DZ?

(iv) IMPORTANT Question: ARE THERE ANY ALTERNATIVES OF SIMILAR NATURE HERE IN EUROPE? (I'd love to travel to NZ, but nevertheless if there is a place where I could do a course like this in Europe I will be much better off financially haha)

PS: I will be getting in touch with them to figure out a priceplan and the timespan of the course since I almost have my BPA B license (I just need to get my packing cert), 60 jumps.

PPS:The last time I emailed them with specific questions they replied with what seemed to me like a quite generalised answer without looking at what I have brought to the table and how it will affect the course for me (ie: lower the cost of the course and it's duration for instance)

*SECTION 2.0 - BACKGROUND*

I am finishing my final year of university and long story short - I don't want to do it for a living.:S

I have realised that working in skydiving (despite all the hardships) will be much more rewarding and will make me happy and the people I fly with, whether it's going to be teaching AFF, coaching FS or FF or filming a tandem! :P

I will do everything in my power to get into the sport professionally and I want to make all the right decisions to get there.

This is all I can remember to mention, so if you have questions please ask away! :)

GLIDEANGLE

Unfortunately, your profile is empty. Thus we don't know how much expereince you have, or where you are. If you provide that info, I think that people will be able to help you better.

Will update the profile tomorrow morning.

I live in Barcelona, Spain but currently studying in the UK at uni.

As for skydiving experience: I have a BPA - A license 60 jumps approx (I think my logbook states 56 jumps). I have everything to get my B license apart from my packing cert (I've had everything else signed off at my DZ in the UK).

I have not personally been to The School but am planning on going in Mid 2014. 

My home dz (in New Zealand) has at least 8 different TI's, Photographers working there that learnt at The School. I've spoken to all of them about their experiences there and all most all of them said they would recommend it. The one or two that didn't, they merely pointed out the cost and how you could fly in U.S for a fair bit less.
I would say 9/10 said they thoroughly enjoyed the experience and the Instructors down there are very good.   Sadly the Methven dropzone where the course is, does NOT allow camping on the DZ. You will have to rent or couch surf your way through the 32 weeks. Most Students live together to lessen rent.

Now here's the catch, unless you're planning on living in New Zealand for at least a year after your graduation, it's not worth it. Let me explain why; when you "graduate" they will give you a 6 week work placement as ground crew/host on a Dropzone somewhere in New Zealand, although it possible to get placed in A.U or a few scarce overseas dropzones. Unless you're total idiot and never show up for work, you have a 95% chance you'll get a job there. After a few months (if you're lucky) working on the ground, they may begin move you into Camera work. Like I said, that's if you're lucky, one of my friends graduated there and had to work ground crew for 9 months before she got her first paying camera job.
Now if you do make it that far, you need to pull your weight and show them you're a great freefall photographer and as long as you are, you should be able to become a full time freefall photographer. But you will have to work at the dropzone for at least year after that before you can go to the U.S/Spain/Anywhere else and have a hope of moving straight to Camera. Let's be fair, where else in the world can you begin to work professionally in the industry with only 200+ jumps? It doesn't happen very often. 
Also, the "diploma" won't get you very far outside of N.Z.

What the The School will give you is some hella good coaching, a few jumps and a chance to get some experience in freefall photography  that may get you a job. 

It's a nice step in the right the direction but it's not a magic School. There's still a lot of hard work involved after you graduate. 

But, that's my opinion. Do with it what you will. 
"My time is limited, what I can do with that time is not" - Jeb Corliss