Vbnmzzz

Getting Started?

Hey I want to get started in sky diving and I'm wondering if age will be a problem. Not because I'm too old, but because I am 17 :). Thanks for any information you can give me.

Also. I live near Richmond, Virginia If that matters. Thanks again.

Welcome to the forums! :)

Minors who are at least 16 years of age and have notarized parental or guardian consent may be allowed to participate in some training programs at some schools, according to the state and school policy. The person providing consent for a minor may be required to observe all pre-jump instruction. Most commonly, schools require all participants to be at least 18.

Do you think your parents would agree to let you learn to skydive? My advice is to just wait until you're 18. In the meantime, you can work and save up your money and also check out the dropzones in your area. A round-about figure is $5000 to get you through the cost of training and buying your first rig, altimeter, helmet and jumpsuit. Check out the dropzone link at the top of the page to contact the dropzone nearest to you.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Yea. Thanks I have been reading something about a AFF (Accelerated Freefall) program or something? I'm turning 18 here soon and it is going to be a birthday present for me =) Will be an amazing experience I hope, and I'm sure it will be.

If you're in Richmond there are a bunch of DZs relatively close. I'm not familiar with most of them (I'm in Baltimore), but Skydive West Point seems to have a great student progression. And they have a really fun DZ :P Since you'll be 18 pretty soon, I'd save your $- you'll need it! If you really can't wait, you could get a head start by checking out a wind tunnel (there's one in NC)