Sunpath - SPS B009 (23 May 2013)
SUBJECT: SUPPLIER/VENDOR RECALL OF PS70104 HOUSINGS (METAL FLEX HOSING INC)
STATUS: MANDATORY INSPECTION AND REPLACEMENT OF RECALLED HOUSINGS
SERVICE BULLETIN: MANDATORY INSPECTION (COMPLIANCE WITH METAL FLEX HOSING MATERIAL RECALL)
IDENTIFICATION: ALL JA101 XX HARNESS CONTAINER ASSEMBLIES (JAVELIN ODYSSEY) WITH METAL FLEX HOUSING BATCH #33234 A AND 33227, .375ID PS70104 HOUSINGS.
SEE SERIAL NUMBER LIST BELOW.
BACKGROUND: Metal Flex Hosing (supplier of flexible metal housings) has recalled 195 total PS70104 .375” ID SS housings due to the ability of the coil to separate. 155 of these housings were received by Sun Path Products, Inc., 124 of which were installed in harness container assemblies, 27 pulled from inventory prior to use and 4 damaged/discarded. (Note: this is not a failure mode. Separating of the coil does not impede normal operation or function of the system)
Who can inspect: Anyone can inspect this area. See photos below.
What to inspect: All JA101 XX harness container systems listed in table above. Inspect Reserve Ripcord housing.
PROCEDURE: If the serial number is listed in the above table, inspect the available exposed reserve ripcord housing. Locate the lower end of the housing, which is clamped to the Main Lift Web, just above the reserve ripcord pocket. Inspect the exposed length of housing from the clamp upwards; ensure that the coil has not separated/unraveled. Be sure to inspect the section that is routed through the chest strap.
A. HOUSING FOUND TO BE INTACT (GOOD): The rig may continue to be jumped with periodic monitoring until the next repack cycle or earlier elective replacement. However this housing must be replaced at the next repack cycle. See http://www.sunpath.com/support/HousingReplacement.pdf for instructions for your rigger to complete the replacement of the housing.
B. HOUSING FOUND TO BE SEPERATED/UNRAVELLED (BAD): The housing must be replaced before the next jump by a certificated senior or master parachute rigger (or foreign equal) or the manufacturer. See http://www.sunpath.com/support/HousingReplacement.pdf for instructions for your rigger to complete the replacement of the housing or instructions to send your system back to the manufacturer.
A: Housing is intact and will be monitored and replaced at the inspection/repack cycle.
1. NOTE ON PACKING DATA CARD, SPSB009 COMPLETED
2. AT TIME OF REPLACEMENT, FILL OUT WEB FORM AND SUBMIT at http://www.sunpath.com/MetalFlexRecall.html and add “–Replaced“ after SPSB009 COMPLETED from step 1 above.
3. NO FURTHER ACTION REQUIRED
B. HOUSINGS ARE SEPERATED/UNRAVELLED:
1. GO TO http://www.sunpath.com/support/HousingReplacement.pdf FOR FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS ON REPLACEMENT OF THE SUBJECT HOUSINGS.
2. AT TIME OF REPLACEMENT, FILL OUT WEB FORM AND SUBMIT at http://www.sunpath.com/MetalFlexRecall.html ;NOTE ON PACKING DATA CARD AND RIGGER LOG BOOK, SPSB009 COMPLETED REPLACED.
3. NO FURTHER ACTION REQUIRED.
COMPLIANCE DATE: INSPECTION BEFORE NEXT JUMP (BY ANYONE) AND MANDITORY HOUSING REPLACEMENT AT NEXT REPACK CYCLE BY FAA SENIOR OR MASTER PARACHUTE RIGGER OR FOREIGN EQUAL.
DAVID L. SINGER
Sun Path Products, Inc.
Director of Engineering
West Edinborough Ave
Raeford NC 28376 USA
Telephone: 910 875 9002
FAX: 910 875 9272
1. All Sun Path Products Dealers
2. PIA Technical Committee
3. PIA Rigging Committee
4. National Aero Clubs, Parachuting Section
5. All Parachuting publications
6. Military Parachute Organizations
7. FAA MIDO SAVANNA
8. FAA FISDO, GREENSBORO, NC
9. FAA ACO, ATLANTA, GA
10. DGAC, FRANCE
More articles in this category:
- Skydiving From a Drone - A World First - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2017-05-15)
- Para Gear Photo Submissions For Catalog #81 - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2016-12-02)
- Countdown To Luke Aikens Heaven Sent - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2016-07-21)
- Formation Flower Power At Inflight Dubai As Girls Storm To Scrambles Crown - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2016-04-25)
- Seattle Resident Becomes First Female Level 4 Indoor Instructor - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2016-04-21)
- Skydive Arizona Event Updates - by Skydive Arizona (Posted: 2016-02-01)
- Para Gear Photo Submissions For Catalog 80 - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2015-12-02)
- Squirrel Releases C-Race For Advanced Pilots - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2015-10-27)