Aerodyne Semi-Stowless Deployment Bag Service Bulletin
Subject: Exchange of Aerodyne semi-stowless deployment bags supplied for Icon harness & container systems.
Compliance: Completed by April 30th, 2018.
Authority: Gordon Sellers, President Aerodyne Research LLC
Date of issue: December 18, 2017
Identification: All semi-stowless deployment bags, with side tuck tabs and magnetic mouth closure, sold with our Icon containers or as a spare part from June 2015 until October 31st, 2017.
This bulletin does not affect the semi-stowless deployment bags delivered after Nov. 1st, 2017, which have red stow pockets for the magnetic mouth closure system.
In 2015, Aerodyne began to offer a semi-stowless deployment bag as an option. In the last year there have been reported irregularities with premature releasing of lines (known as a line dump) where this bag has been in use.
Aerodyne has thousands of Icons in the field for many years with regular deployment bags using rubber stow bands with no known issues regarding line control during deployment.
Based on these reports, Aerodyne has performed additional tests on the design of the semi-stowless bag in different conditions. These conditions accounted for a wide variety of variables such as canopy sizes related to the bag size, types of canopy fabrics, types of lines, opening speeds, and more importantly, a variation of canopy packing techniques that we understand are used in the field.
Through this additional testing we have determined that some of these conditions can exist, causing a premature release of lines from the bag. This uncontrolled deployment of lines may cause variations in opening characteristics, and could lead to lines being caught on the container or jumper.
As a result of continued development of Aerodyneís products, an improved semi-stowless deployment bag has been designed which better addresses these issues. These bags are delivered with all new Icon containers where this option is required.
To increase safety for everyone using the semi-stowless design, Aerodyne wishes to offer every Icon owner to have the latest version of this bag.
Thus, Aerodyne has decided to offer an exchange program and upgrade all the original semi-stowless deployment bags, and remove the first version of bags from further use. This replacement bag and return shipping to you will be at no charge to the customers, and will not distinguish if the bag is in a rig that is sold second hand. Simply put, if itís an Aerodyne semi-stowless bag, Aerodyne will exchange it to the new version free of charge.
Until users have received their new bags and wish to jump their equipment, we recommend that the packing instructions for the semi-stowless bag be noted and followed. We have experienced a variety of packing methods on the semi-stowless bags in the field, and would remind users that free stowing lines in any type of a semi-stowless bag is a technique that requires understanding and attention.
In an effort to minimize disruption for our customers, we are in the process of manufacturing the new replacement bags and the practical exchange can start from the second week of January 2018. New semi-stowless deployment bags will be exchanged upon return of the original semi-stowless bag.
To prepare the exchange of these bags, and for Aerodyne to manage the program in the best possible manner, customers must register on Aerodyneís website. This can be done as soon as possible.
Actions for customers to take:
- Visit https://www.flyaerodyne.com/registration/ and register your request for exchange. Please note this is important, even if you donít send in the bag straight away.
- You will receive an email acknowledgement of your registration. Please keep this for your records. Please print and include a copy of this document when you return your bag for exchange.
- We will start the exchange process from the second week of January.
- With about 500 bags in 10 different sizes in the field, bags will be manufactured and made available in the order they are requested. The sooner you send your bag in, the earlier it will be replaced.
- Bags will only be exchanged upon receipt of old bag.
- If you have no need for a new bag immediately, please wait a while and let your skydiving friends who are active and maybe in a more jumpable climate get their bags first.
To aid in the process of distribution, after registration old bags Ė with a copy of the registration Ė can be returned to the nearest exchange center to you. Once received we will process a replacement and send within two weeks.
North and South America (USA Canada, Mexico, South America)
Aerodyne Research LLC,
1407 Flightline Blvd, Unit 14, Deland FL 32724
Aerodyne Research Europe c/o Herman Landsman
Hoofdweg 101, 1795 JC De Cocksdorp, Holland
Mee Loft c/o Koppel Solomon
84 Park Rd, Woolloongabba, QLD 4102
Rest of World (Africa, Far East)
Aerodyne Research Manufacturing
115 Marshall Drive, Crawdord Factories, Mount Edgecombe, South Africa 4300
More articles in this category:
- Longest Indoor Freefall Record Set - by (Posted: 2018-10-09)
- Vigil Service Bulletin - 19 April 2018 - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2018-04-24)
- Aerodyne Semi-Stowless Deployment Bag Service Bulletin - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2018-03-14)
- Swoop Freestyle FAI World Championship Program - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2017-08-04)
- World Championships in Freestyle Swooping Coming This August - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2017-07-12)
- Skydiving From a Drone - A World First - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2017-05-15)
- Para Gear Photo Submissions For Catalog #81 - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2016-12-02)
- Countdown To Luke Aikens Heaven Sent - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2016-07-21)